New toilet is leaking

Old 02-09-19, 01:49 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New toilet is leaking

I just installed a Kohler Cimmeron toilet today. When I flush, a small amount of water comes out the front of the tank, spilling into the bowl and onto the floor. I tightened the nuts and washers each side a little at a time like I am supposed to. I tightened them until they were snug and it would require some force to tighten them more. I don't want to crack the bowl. The washers are deformed like I think they are supposed to be. I took the tank back off the toilet to inspect the gasket, which is on the base of the tank just fine. I seated the tank back on the toilet, and no difference. Still leaks. This is not rocket science. It's a gasket that seats in a hole, so can anyone tell me why I am having this trouble? The bolts on these newer toilets don't go through the tank. They seat in a bracket at the base of the tank. I would think that given the design of the bracket that it would seal simply from the weight of the water evern without tightening the bolts. Thanks.

Old 02-09-19, 02:14 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Don’t know whether this is helpful or not, but one time I had a problem with the factory installed flush valve on a new toilet. The toilet installation instructions did not say to tighten that valve – so I didn’t, assuming it was exactly right as it came from the factory. Turned out it was not tight enough and was leaking.

Had me going for a while. I thought it was the tank to bowl gasket that was leaking but that was wrong.

Ah! Just remembered. That leak might just have been into the bowl in that case - and not onto the floor. Seems like that leak would have stayed inside the tank to bowl gasket. Can't really remember.

Old 02-09-19, 04:24 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
That toilet uses a two bolt to tank design. I hate those. A three bolt design is much better. I will never buy a two bolt system.

You need to carefully torque the bolts evenly. You might want to use a spirit level while doing it. Be sure the mating surfaces are very clean. When you first lay it on the base, kind of twist it a bit to assure it's seated, then begin to tighten the bolts evenly.

I never had trouble with a three bolt system, but always a two bolt. Eventually I get them to seat properly.

Old 02-09-19, 10:17 PM
R
Thanks. Everything is clean because it is brand new. I slowly cinch the nuts and washers on correctly. It feels like the hole in the base is defective in some manner. I read of someone who rolled up some plumber's putty and surrounded the hole with it and it fixed the problem. What would you think of that solution? I talk to Kohler on Monday, however I might try it.

Old 02-10-19, 04:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
If the tank leaks when it's just sitting there then it can be the tank mounting bolts but if your bolts don't go through the tank then that can't be it. If it leaks out between the tank and bowl only when the toilet is flushed then it's the big squishy washer between the tank and bowl. I would again take a look at the washer just to make doubly sure it's installed properly.

How does the toilet flush? If it looks like the toilet isn't flushing properly there might be a defect or something in the bowl blocking the flow of water causing it to back up and leak out between the tank and bowl.

Old 02-10-19, 04:41 AM
R
The toilet I guess flushes okay

I have never used one of these Piston Kohlers before, and the flushing is different from what I am used to, however it does seem to flush okay. One question I have is, when I first filled the tank up, the bowl filled up some as well. How can this be? If the only way for water from the tank to get to the bowl is through the piston, and I hadn't activated the piston yet by flushing it, how did the water find its way into the bowl? Thanks.

Old 02-10-19, 08:20 AM
R
So everyone, I followed a tip I found on Google and it fixed the problem. I encircled the intake hole with a bead of plumber's putty. Seems to have created a good seal so I guess I'm good to go. A couple tips for would be amateur installers like me: 1) fasten tight the bolts from the floor with a thin nut to prevent the bolts from moving or twisting then put on the toilet base on the bolts and follow the directions from there 2) put large straws on the bolts to guide them onto the base and to thread the tank bolts into the base. 3) Don't use those new fangled plastic wax/no wax ring contraptions. Didn't work for me. I just bought an extra thick wax ring at HD after that calamity and it worked great. Have a good day.

Old 02-10-19, 08:27 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Good to see you solved the problem. However, it's been my experience that plumbers putty will eventually dry out, and any slight movement will crack it and thereby allow leaking. I think perhaps silicon glue may be the better choice.

Old 02-10-19, 08:47 AM
R
Thanks. I bought Sta Put and the container says that it won't harden, crumble and a couple of other things, however should it ever leak again I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: