Will Pipe Dope stop P-Trap leak?

Old 02-23-19, 05:05 PM
K
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will Pipe Dope stop P-Trap leak?

I just changed out a vanity and sink and have a small drip at one of the P-Trap connections. Thought maybe it wasn't tight enough but it's pretty tight. Do you think it would stop if I put some pipe dope on it then reconnected it?

I also used hard lines for the faucet connections this time which I have not used in the past. Thought it would be a very safe way to go, so I tried them. The connection at the faucet end has a very small/slow drip as well. Thought about some pipe dope for that too maybe. What are your thoughts or other suggestions?

I am done for today so I just shut the water off for tonight and will get back to it tomorrow.

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-23-19, 05:28 PM
K
P Trap leak could just be the washer. I will try a new one tomorrow. But any ideas on the water supply line to the faucet would be great. Thanks

Old 02-23-19, 08:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,461 Posts
I would not use pipe dope as that's likely to be a temporary solution. If another washer doesn't stop the trap from leaking you might need a new trap kit. I have come across several of the plastic ones that were out of round and no way to make them seal.

As for the water supply lines I like the flexible stainless braided hoses. They are much easier to work with and almost never leak. I assume your rigid water supply lines have a brass ferrule and compression nut. With the first install you sometimes need to tighten them pretty hard to compress the ferrule into the rigid tubing to form a good seal. After that initial hard tightening the ferrule is permanently stuck on the tubing and doesn't need to be so tight to seal in the future.

Old 02-24-19, 03:40 AM
K
related to the water supply line. the ferrules are fine. drip is from the other end of the line. Where it connects to the faucet. thanks

Old 02-24-19, 10:57 PM
There's nothing wrong with a little pipe dope or a wind of teflon tape on a ferrule, or the ball end of a copper supply tube.

Years ago I worked for a Chicago union plumber. He used to say, "putty & pipe dope -- we put it on our toast in the morning".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: