Slow drip in angle valve to toilet

Old 02-24-19, 11:02 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Slow drip in angle valve to toilet

Some time back the valve between the wall and this toilet failed, so i replaced it with the silver one in the photo. From day 1 it had a slow drip leak. I removed it recently and applied more teflon, made sure it was tight, and tightened the packing nut, to no improvement.

Thinking it was a faulty valve I bought a new one this morning, installed it and... the same slow drip leak. Although this is a compression valve, i could not get the compression ferrules to fit: the threads didn't come close to matching up. Also the valve was closed when I installed it and the slow drip occurred, so I'm guessing the leak occurs "before" the valve in the connection to the copper pipe in the wall.

Did I buy the wrong valve? Need to use more teflon? What am I missing, please?

Photo 1: new box and fittings not used, old valve
Photo 2: my application, new valve installed

Thanks!
Dave

Name:  box.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  box2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  49.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-24-19 at 11:18 AM. Reason: cropped/reoriented/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-19, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 178 Posts
If you didn't get the compression rings to fit, what the heck is keeping it sealed??? The old compression ring and nut? If it's leaking from the front of the nut threads, you might just need a little pipe dope in addition to the teflon. If it's leaking behind the nut, (on the pipe side) that means the compression ring isn't sealing/seating on the new valve.

I would suggest you take it off, use a tubing cutter to cut your wall pipe about 1" shorter, then clean up the outside of the pipe with a copper tubing wire brush so that its shiny and clean. Then see if the nut and new compression ring will fit over the pipe. You really have to tighten them down good to get them to seal, using 2 wrenches.

Old 02-24-19, 11:18 AM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
I would skip the compression style altogether and solder on a male thread adapter then buy a threaded valve. Problem solved. Now in the future if those cheap valves fail (plastic stem and snap in washer ), it's easy to replace with the same kind or a better one.

edit: If you don't want to solder buy a Sharkbite threaded adapter.

Old 02-24-19, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
More than likely it's a pit in the old ferrule or the old nut. Teflon tape and goo won't stop it. You may be able to force the nut tighter but like X mentioned..... cut off the end of the pipe and start fresh.

Old 02-24-19, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
so i replaced it with the silver one in the photo. From day 1 it had a slow drip leak. I removed it recently and applied more teflon,

Then I think the old one was never installed properly. You don't use teflon tape on compression fittings as far as I know. Maybe the tape prevented the old compression fitting from tightening properly - maybe not, just a thought.

Old 02-24-19, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! I used a dremel cut-off wheel to slit the old nut in half to remove it. Then i cut a notch in the old compression ferrule and used a flat screwdriver to pry it off. Cleaned up the copper pipe with sandpaper and installed the new nut and ferrule. Looks good so far.

Thanks again for the help-
Dave