Replacing Vanity In Half-Bath; How do I remove the old P-Trap?

Old 02-28-19, 06:34 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Vanity In Half-Bath; How do I remove the old P-Trap?

Good morning, all.

I am replacing the vanity in our downstairs half bath and unfortunately, the new vanity my wife chose has a poorly positioned shelf inside which interferes with the waste plumbing as it exists now.

I purchased a SnappyTrap 1-1/2 in Universal Drain Kit which can correct the issue, but to use it, first I'll need to get the last piece of the old P-Trap off of the PVC to which it's currently connected. (See Photo Attached.)

The kit I bought does include a flexible wall coupling with a metal strap to tighten around it as a connection option, so I could just saw off the problem section, however, I was hoping there was an easier/"cleaner" solution...

Can anyone provide me with a reliable method for removing this piece or am I stuck with cutting it off?

Thank you in advance for your time and responses. Any input is greatly appreciated. Y'all have a great day.

Attached Images   
Old 02-28-19, 07:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You will need to cut it off right behind the hub, leaving as much of that pipe between the hub and elbow as possible. 3/4" will be enough. Then I would glue on one of these.

Old 02-28-19, 07:07 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I'd be cutting it off as close to the coupling as I could and installing a new trap adaptor so it can connected the way it should have been done in the first place.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1-...2114/100348180

Old 02-28-19, 07:13 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, I figured that was the case but also that it couldn't hurt to ask. As a side note, responding to "the way it should have been done in the first place", you have no idea how many construction oddities we've found in this house since we moved in... Apparently, all the houses in our neighborhood have similar quirks that show themselves when repairs/renovations begin. Thanks so much, y'all. I'll get to cutting this afternoon. Much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: