plunged sink & putty came out

Old 03-04-19, 09:51 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
plunged sink & putty came out

After the bathroom sink was draining slowly, I plunged it and suddenly a good bit of putty appeared. Most seemed to appear in the drain area, but a piece also came out of the overflow when the rag I'd stuffed in there popped out. Did the plunger suck out the plumber's putty around the drain? I never saw that happen before. There's no sign of any leak, not a drop of water underneath. There does seem to be a tiny gap in a couple of places between the metal drain flange and the porcelain of the sink -- don't know if they were there before. The sink was installed about 6 months ago. (BTW, the drain is still slow, though the trap is clean. My condo is an apartment in a big building, so I guess I'll have the super snake it.)

Do I just leave the drain as is, since there's no leak? Is it common for plunging to pull out the putty? Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-04-19, 10:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 969 Votes on 890 Posts
Describe the "putty".

Normally plumbers putty is only used in small amount around the drain. All the putty that's doing anything it trapped by the sink and drain pipe. It is possible the plumber dropped a ball of putty when working and it fell down the drain. Or, I'm wondering if your "putty" is what I call "drain snot". A mixture of soap scum and dirt.

Old 03-05-19, 06:50 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Either is possible, Pilot Dane. I guess I won't worry about it, especially since there's no leak. Thanks for relieving my anxiety.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: