Replacing a standard toilet with a one piece, dual flush toilet

Old 03-06-19, 06:48 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing a standard toilet with a one piece, dual flush toilet

Had two problems:
a) a leak in the bathroom coming in through the ceiling below
b) a constantly running toilet

Wasn't able to get over to the house so, given the urgency, I called a plumber who told me both issues were due to the toilet and I needed a whole new toilet. IIRC he said there were multiple issues/leaks with the existing toilet.

I said ok how much to replace it and when's the soonest you could do it.
$600 and he could do it the next morning.

I have a faint memory of doing a toilet decades ago and all I can recall is it wasn't a lot of work so I told him I thought the price was too high and that I could get there later in the evening and do it myself.

I bought this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-...2420/203076918

I like the one piece design since it's one less source of a leak (between the tank and the bowl).

When I started taking out the old toilet, the bolts that secure it to the floor eventually started spinning (on both sides) once I got the nuts about halfway off.

The online videos showed cutting the bolts but I didn't have my metal disc cutter with me so I installed a shutoff and told everyone to keep the water off and only turn it on when they use the toilet then turn it back off.

I'm going to set my Saturday afternoon aside to do this job but already the following questions come to mind:

1) Will the new toilet sit the same as the old toilet onto the bolts. I don't care about replacing the bolts, I just want to make sure they set in the same fitment.

2) The old toilet back is almost up against the wall with very little room to spare. From drain hole to back, are all toilets the same dimension? I want to avoid the new toilet not having enough room in the back and having to relocate the pipe.

3) Anything else you see that could be an issue?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-19, 07:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Will the new toilet sit the same as the old toilet onto the bolts. I don't care about replacing the bolts, I just want to make sure they set in the same fitment.
Never once reused the bolts. Bolts are installed long to make setting the toilet easy than cut to length. They slip into standardized slots in the flange.

Old 03-07-19, 04:12 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
The old toilet back is almost up against the wall with very little room to spare. From drain hole to back, are all toilets the same dimension? I want to avoid the new toilet not having enough room in the back and having to relocate the pipe.
In most cases yes! Use new bolts, and use a wax ring with the sleeve on it. Be sure your flange is secure and all the flooring is dry.

Old 03-07-19, 04:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 637 Votes on 588 Posts
No, all toilets are not the same dimensions. If you look at the specs for a toilet they will specify the "rough in". That is the distance from the wall to the center of the toilet flange. 12" is the most common but 10" and 14" are also available. I mostly see the less common 10" and 14" with one piece toilets.

Old 03-07-19, 09:15 AM
Received 87 Votes on 77 Posts
I see that this one is a 12" rough-in.

Old 03-07-19, 10:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yep, a 12" rough-in, I just checked the specs, what a relief