Slight wobble with Perfect Seal Toilet Wax Ring

Old 03-12-19, 09:07 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Slight wobble with Perfect Seal Toilet Wax Ring

I just tried installing the Perfect Seal Toilet Wax Ring. The back of the toilet has a slight rock or wobble from side to side.

I've already taken out the black plastic insert and because the flange is above the floor, I'm not using the blue adapter. I've already sat on it and tried putting weight into to compress it more. I've tried gently rocking the toilet. The toilet did sit flush with the old wax ring so I don't think it is the tile floor.

(1) If I bolt it down, will that compress it the rest of the way?

(2) I know I could put down some shims down but for whatever reason, I'm less comfortable doing this. No idea why not other than I've not done it for any other toilet so no experience.

(3) Would a traditional wax ring solve the problem I'm having and be the smarter way to go?

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 03-12-19, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You do not want to use the bolts as a way to tighten it down to the floor. That's a good way to crack the flange, toilet or both.

I would use a traditional wax ring.

Old 03-13-19, 03:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Did you try twisting the commode back and forth slightly to see if that would make it seat better? Are you sure there wasn't a small shim embedded in the old wax seal?

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 03-13-19, 04:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have encountered the same issue with that type of seal. There simply wasn't room for it so I replaced it with a traditional wax ring.

Old 03-13-19, 05:27 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Agree with the others. If the traditional wax ring worked, why change.

Old 03-13-19, 03:41 PM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Did you test fit the toilet without the wax ring to be sure that there was no rocking?

The bottom of the toilet must not touch the flange and better yet, there should be at least 1/8" (some say 1/4") gap. More of a gap if the wax ring comes as an assembly with some harder wafers or other components built in.

Two layers of box corrugated cardboard could be used as a test, you would verfy that it was not significant crushed after used for a test fit of the toilet.

Old 03-14-19, 03:34 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I didn't test without the wax ring. I knew previously that there was no rocking with the old wax ring.

I'll probably go back to a traditional wax ring. After some more rocking and pressing, it is less of a wobble.

Are there any thoughts or best practices for shims?

Thanks.

Old 03-14-19, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
An oldie but a goodie: (Plaster of Paris)

Setting toilet in plaster, never shim a toilet again..

Old 03-15-19, 06:39 AM
O
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If that is the Danco Perfect Seal I can tell you that they just don't work. I wish they would take them off the shelf. I should correct that statement. They won't work for probably 90% of all toilets out there.

I wrote a write up about my attempt.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/t...ng-toilet.html

I, as will you, had to remove it and use a regular wax seal. The ones that come with the little funnel are the best. The perfect seal is junk or at least junk for quite a few toilet set ups. It would be nice if they told you that but it would appear that their objective was mainly to get you to buy it, not necessarily to have it work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: