Pop-up drain replacement - rubber gasket vs plumbers putty

Old 03-13-19, 04:51 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pop-up drain replacement - rubber gasket vs plumbers putty

I'd like some opinions on replacing the pop-up drain flange on my bathroom sink. In the past, I have always used plumbers putty between the flange and bowl. However. the replacement assembly I just bought includes a rubber gasket to be used as an alternative to plumbers putty. So I'd like opinions on whether one is better than the other or if it makes no difference. Also, if I do go with the rubber gasket, should I lubricate it with something before installing? (think oil filter change) Thanks!

Old 03-13-19, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
It depends a lot on the composition of the sink. Plumbers putty shouldn't be used on stone/cultured tops. I've never used a rubber gasket but it should work fine. Shouldn't need any lubrication. If you need a little lube.... use a small bit of dish soap.

Old 03-14-19, 02:44 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pete. It's a porcelain sink I installed twelve years ago. The plumbers putty I used at the time is still holding up fine, it is the pop-up mechanism that wore out. So I got a replacement kit for the whole drain. I guess, based on past performance, I'll go with the putty again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: