Changing out Valves on Tub Deck

Old 03-15-19, 06:51 AM
Changing out Valves on Tub Deck

Hello...Remodeling tub deck with new tile & want to change out faucets & spout. Would I need to redo the piping under the deck or would I just need to change out the valves for the new faucets?

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-19, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
The best way to know for sure is to look underneath. Tub fixtures are often hard piped so you'd need access to the area below to install a new faucet..

Old 03-15-19, 09:53 AM
That's what i was afraid of...there is currently no access under the deck & didn't really want to redo the piping. I do believe it is hard piped underneath

Old 03-15-19, 10:25 AM
You might be able to find different replacement handles for the existing valves from the same manufacturer or others. Take one off and see what it looks like.

Also the spout may be screwed onto a threaded connection and may be replaceable from the top.

Old 03-15-19, 10:42 AM
Yup...spout is off. The replacement handles are these old spinning handles (Handles.jpg)...would like to replace with something like (Handles2.jpg). Pretty sure they use different valves.

Attached Images   
Old 03-15-19, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Depending on your house's layout often access is relatively easy through the back side. If your tub's faucet is on an interior wall an access hole can be cut from the other side, plumbing work done, then the hole repaired.

Old 03-15-19, 11:29 AM
Its a bad layout...the other side of the wall is the shower stall which was redone & tiled a year ago.