Is this my tub spout nipple?

Old 03-29-19, 11:28 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this my tub spout nipple?

I'm getting a little rust from my tub spout so Dr. Google led me to try replacing the nipple and spout before I start busting through walls. I removed the spout and found this. Is this the nipple? Or is this some sort of connector that maybe came with the spout. Wanted to ask before I start twisting things that aren't supposed to twist.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images   
Old 03-30-19, 04:16 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 25,952
Received 1,764 Upvotes on 1,577 Posts
A pipe nipple is a straight piece of pipe threaded on both ends. It might be underneath the spout adapter that you can see in your photo. It almost looks like you have copper pipe underneath though.

Old 03-30-19, 04:29 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 10,622
Received 668 Upvotes on 591 Posts
this some sort of connector that maybe came with the spout.
This piece should slide out from the copper pipe extension. I believe it's being held on and sealed by an "O" ring.
Old 03-30-19, 04:54 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 13,753
Received 672 Upvotes on 570 Posts
The parts shown appear to be copper, brass, and plastic. None of these materials rust. You need to look elsewhere.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: