Touchless faucets: Good or not?

Old 04-29-19, 09:01 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Touchless faucets: Good or not?

I need to replace my kitchen faucet and notice all of the decent pull down models are around $200. I was at Costco the other day and saw a Kohler touchless kitchen faucet on sale for $200. I would have considered price as a disadvantage to them but considering this is the same price, that is irrelevant. If any of you have used them, what do you like or dislike about them? It looks like for this model, you just wave your hand under the arc of the faucet to turn it on or off.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-19, 09:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
First, I am a neanderthal. I don't want Google, Apple or Amazon listening in on every word said in my home and I don't need a thermostat I can look on my phone to see that it's still set on 74.

I would consider it an 8 year faucet. In my rental houses I have numerous faucets over 50 years old and they still work. When they drip a $.39 rubber washer fixes it and they are good for another 10 years. Add on electronics and solenoids to open and close the valves and I think you have a faucet that will have an average life of 8 years. Then there are the batteries. Adding faucets to the list of things that needs batteries is not appealing to me.

But... as many times as my hands are all messy and I'm turning on the faucet with my elbow there are times when hands free would be a very handy feature. I would just get it in my head that the faucet is a piece of tech. Just like all the other gadgets in the home it can have a relatively short life compared to the old basics.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 04-29-19, 10:02 AM
D
Good points. I guess though if it did break down, you can still use it manually by disabling the sensor, right?

Old 04-29-19, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
you can still use it manually by disabling the sensor, right?
I don't think so unless it has a mechanical handle. Most of those touch free units do nothing when the batteries go dead or the solenoid fails.

Old 04-29-19, 11:07 AM
D
This is the one I am referring to. IT does have a handle and says there is a switch to flip it over to manual if you lose power. You can also get an AC adapter for it.

Old 04-29-19, 11:21 AM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
First, I am a neanderthal. I don't want Google, Apple or Amazon listening in on every word said in my home and I don't need a thermostat I can look on my phone to see that it's still set on 74.
OH boy, my sentiments exactly.

Why do I need to change temp on-line my programmable thermostat works great!

Why do I need to start my car on-line, my remote start works great!

Why do I need a refrig with internet and cameras?

Why do I need a washing machines with internet?

Why do I need a camera at the front door, my dog does a great job!

Just because they make all this crap with more things to go wrong doesnt make it "better"!

Old 04-29-19, 11:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I like faucets with levers (like this one: https://www.build.com/peerless-p110l...RoCedYQAvD_BwE). I've never been so full of filth that there wasn't some part of my forearm or elbow I could use to turn on the water.

Old 04-29-19, 05:07 PM
Received 189 Votes on 171 Posts
I have to agree with PD, PJ, and Marq. God we sound like people from the stone age! Neanderthal is correct. Kind of like the Cavemen in the GEICO commercials living n modern society! Even a caveman can do it.
I'm with Stick. I like single handle faucet also. All our sinks have them. Easier to keep clean also.

Old 04-30-19, 04:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
Count me in with the Neanderthal crowd. My cell phone is a Motorola flip phone, all I need it to do is make & receive calls and texts.

Old 04-30-19, 05:50 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you have a "touch" faucet set to your happy temp, you will waste some water, and some energy/elect/gas or oil, opposed to just running the hot to to get it up to temp.
Sid

Old 05-01-19, 01:20 PM
S
Received 25 Votes on 17 Posts
I've seen enough "touchless" tech in public restrooms to know that I don't want the technology in my house. The touchless toilet that doesn't flush (or flushes too soon!), the touchless soap dispenser that doesn't dispense, the touchless faucet that won't turn on to rinse the soap, the touchless dryer that won't turn on to dry... No thank you!

Old 05-02-19, 07:59 AM
D
Ok ok ok...you guys convinced me. Bad idea Honestly I was thinking along those lines too. I know it is supposed to turn off automatically after a few minutes, but I can still picture that malfunctioning and someone forgetting to turn off the handle when we leave and it turning on by itself. Plus with more connections under the counter would lead to more chances of leaks. Thanks.