Water leaks at the bottom of the toilet?

Old 05-23-19, 02:41 PM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Water leaks at the bottom of the toilet?

I need to figure out why at the bottom of the toilet there are some water. It's not like a puddle of water. It just wet. We wiped it clean but after a day or two, it's wet again. I just replaced the wax ring like 3 or so months ago. Any help is much appreciated!

Top Answer

11-02-19, 08:58 PM
Furd
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I agree with Mike, the flange mounts on top of the finished floor.

One thing, are there little boys or perhaps any obese men using this toilet? Little boys are not always that good with their aim and obese men that sit down to pee often have a problem in that they "shoot outward" rather than down. This can mean they hit the underside of the seat and the stream is deflected downward outside the bowl and makes a puddle on the floor.

Deflectors that are mounted on the seat bottom are available from commercial janitorial supply companies for the latter problem.

Old 05-23-19, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Your wax ring may have been slightly damaged during the install or maybe the toilet rocks just a little and so the seal is not perfect. At any rate, you need your pull and replace the wax seal. No other reason it would leak unless the bowl has a crack.

Old 05-23-19, 02:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
First step is you have to figure out from where the water is coming. Turn off the incoming water - if it still leaks, it's likely not your supply. Flush until the bowl and tank are empty and then refill the tank - no leaks and it's likely not your tank. Flush to refill the bowl and see if water then leaks which indicates either the bowl or the wax seal. If there is any movement of the stool by pushing on it in different directions, I would suspect the wax ring right off the bat.

Old 05-23-19, 03:29 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
It's not condensation, is it?

How long has it been like this?

You will need to remove the toilet, inspect the floor and let it dry thoroughly if not damaged, then inspect the flange. Is it level with floor? It it plumb? If not level and more than 3/16 below level get an extender to raise it up. They come in different thickness. If 3/16 or more above the floor, you need to level to floor to the flange or re-do the flange piping.

Old 10-01-19, 05:51 AM
C
Okay, lately it has been leaking again. I did put in a new wax seal. I do not notice any rocking/movement when sitting on the stool. I tried flushing several times and I do not see water leaking at the bottom of the toilet stool. I figured that if it leaks during flushing, it would stink a lot because we have a lot of people using the bathroom; however, it does not stink. In addition, no one was using the bathroom the whole day. When I came back from work, the floor around the toilet are all wet. What's hard to troubleshoot is that it does not always happened but lately, the floor is getting wet more often.

Old 10-01-19, 06:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Replace the wax seal... again. If your house has a working plumbing vent system you won't notice a smell in most cases but water on the floor is hard to miss.

Old 10-01-19, 06:45 AM
Might it be the water supply line feeding the tank?
Send some pics so we can see where the water is.

Old 10-01-19, 07:51 AM
C
Does the water in the tank automatically fills the toilet bowl when it's low? I'm thinking about shutting off the supply line and see if the water in the bowl or tank gets lower at the end of the day. If it doesn't then that means it only leaks when flushing.

Old 10-01-19, 08:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
No, the tank does not automatically fill the bowl when it's low. If you open the lid you will see a small rubber hose. That is the water that fills the bowl and it only flows water when the tank is filling. Once the tank is full no more water should get down to the bowl.

For a quick check I just feel around the water supply valve, line and where it connects to the tank. A leak should be pretty apparent.

Old 11-02-19, 11:34 AM
C
So I just put in a new wax ring about 4-6 months ago and it has been leaking every so often. I took the toilet out and inspect the flange. This is what it looks like. Should the flange be flushed with the floor?

It also seems like the floor is not level either so I put some shims on the right side but it does look ugly. What other options do I have? I don't want to redo the whole floor.

Old 11-02-19, 01:03 PM
Yes the flange must be flush with the floor. You can get away with possible up to a 1/4 " above or below. So here's what's happening.The toilet is being supported by the flange only and it won't take much rocking to break the seal. You need to lower your flange or raise the floor. In either case the flange should be level with the finish height of the floor.

Old 11-02-19, 05:31 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I'd also buy some new bolts.

Old 11-02-19, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
No!! The flange is correct and sits on the floor like that..

Pull that old black donut out of the hole. Thats from the old wax seat. Use a regular wax seal without the horn..

Check the tank bolts and gasket. They may be leaking and dripping down back of toilet..

How old is the toilet?

I had a new toilet have a hairline crack in the bowl and leak from underside.

Also if new flush valve was installed you need to cut that tube so its below the handle opening.. Otherwise it leaks out handle hole and drips down tank...

Old 11-02-19, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Also read this link on setting toilet in plaster

Setting toilet in plaster, never shim a toilet again..

Old 11-02-19, 08:58 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I agree with Mike, the flange mounts on top of the finished floor.

One thing, are there little boys or perhaps any obese men using this toilet? Little boys are not always that good with their aim and obese men that sit down to pee often have a problem in that they "shoot outward" rather than down. This can mean they hit the underside of the seat and the stream is deflected downward outside the bowl and makes a puddle on the floor.

Deflectors that are mounted on the seat bottom are available from commercial janitorial supply companies for the latter problem.

CasualJoe, lawrosa voted this post useful.
Old 11-03-19, 04:18 AM
Furd and Mike...do I stand corrected?

I've seen it stated both ways.

For instance the, "For those that don’t already know, the proper toilet flange height is when it’s flush with the finished floor. It’s easier to get your flange flush with the floor if you first lay your flooring before you install the flange. " lifted from, https://www.h2ouse.org/proper-toilet-flange-height/

It goes on to say..." Optimum flange height to aim for is 1/4 inch above the finished floor. This typically allows for almost any type of wax ring to be used and still ensure a good seal."

Perhaps I mis-read and they mean the bottom of flange flush with floor.

I've always been successful with the flange level and never had leaks. I've installed many toilets. However, I'll concede since you guys are the experts and I've learned to go with experience.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-03-19, 04:46 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
I may be barking up the wrong tree here but what is that black (looks like rubber) gasket on the flange?

I do not think that should be there when installing a new wax ring.

Old 11-03-19, 05:01 AM
I think you are you referring to the rubber boot or funnel like extension that some wax rings use.

Old 11-03-19, 06:19 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Yes that is what I thought but then I saw white on the inside of it so it looks more like a gasket than the black funnels they use.

Old 11-03-19, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
Mike already mentioned that about 8 posts up.

Pull that old black donut out of the hole. Thats from the old wax seat. Use a regular wax seal without the horn..

Old 11-03-19, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
the black horn is still in the toilet flange.. I can see it..

Attached Images  
Old 11-03-19, 07:55 AM
C
It definitely leaks from the bottom because I've replace all the tank screws, checked the water supply line and connections, checked if there is any cracks on the tank and so far none. I did remove the black horn before putting in a new wax ring and it still leaks. Just yesterday I replaced it with the Fernco 4" x 3-1/2" Combo Wax Free Toilet Seal shown below and this morning, I found that it still leaks at the bottom. By the way, I also shim the toilet so that it's level. So at this point, I'm not sure what else I could do.

Old 11-03-19, 08:12 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I'm not sure what else I could do.
I think it's time to go shopping for a new toilet.

Old 11-03-19, 08:24 AM
C
My concern with sealing the bottom with caulk or plaster is that if there is water leaking, I would not know until it leaks to the basement. So I tried using shims and yes, it still leaks.

Old 11-03-19, 08:28 AM
C
Ron53, my wife keeps telling me to just purchase a new toilet; however, my concern is that, what if it's not the toilet but something else? So I must try to figure out what the real cause is first before getting a new toilet.

Old 11-03-19, 09:06 AM
sealing the bottom with caulk or plaster is that if there is water leaking, I would not know until it leaks to the basement.
I agree. In a house hold, do not caulk or seal the base for the reasons you mention. However, IIRC correctly that in an institution or commercial application sealing the base is code.

Old 11-03-19, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Fernco 4" x 3-1/2" Combo Wax Free Toilet Seal
throw that in the garbage.. wax works best... just my opinion though

Old 11-03-19, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Code is:

402.2 Joints Where a fixture comes in contact with the wall or floor, the joint between the fixture and the wall or floor shall be made watertight.

Old 11-03-19, 09:53 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I would just pull the toilet and replace the seal. Not that big a deal.
Not a plumber and I've only done a half dozen toilets but I've always installed the flange on top of the finished floor.

Old 11-03-19, 10:37 AM
C
Okay, I just took out the toilet again and redo and found that this time the white plastic toilet flange that's on the floor with the two screws to secure the toilet is now broken. How do I replace this flange since it was cemented to the underneath pipe.

Old 11-03-19, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Take a pic of the inside of flange and show me where its broke.. This is why I dont shim toilets..

Plus you probably over tightened

You can use a glue in flange or repair 1/2 moons.

Old 11-03-19, 11:13 AM
C
I'm thinking about using this repair kit Will this work? What other options do I have?

Old 11-03-19, 11:16 AM
C
What about this option? Would it work better than the first one I posted here? For this one, do I install it underneath the existing flange or on top?

Old 11-03-19, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
I use the second one mostly.. I use this type

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-Cl...-100/100372312

I put the johnny bolt through the hole then slip the whole thing under the flange..

but its all depends on where the flange broke..

I often cut the flange off with an inside cutter and glue a new inside street flange in..

Old 11-11-19, 01:45 PM
C
Okay, finally got everything re-installed and shimmed so that the toilet is level in all direction. However, it's still leaking at the bottom. I don't know what else to do anymore. If it leaks when we flush, I would have seen it when I flush but I do not see water sipping out when flushing. Today I came home from work and there is a pile of water on the floor at the back of the toilet bowl. No one was home all day long. Is it time for a professional plumber to take a look or would it be better to just purchase a new toilet? I'm not a professional plumber so I don't know but, what else could a professional do besides what I've done?

Old 11-11-19, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
at the back of toilet?

1.Coming from bottom of toilet wax ring
2. coming from tank bolts or tank seal and dripping down back
3.coming from fill valve gasket, supply line or valve
4. water leak in water line in wall. possibly seeping through wall/floor level
5. slab leak. leak in underslab pipe weeping up through floor
6. toilet has hairline crack in bowl/tank. water will show on floor and either tank will be low or bowl will be low of water. ( test by turning valve off after everything fills.)
7. fill valve broke in tank and spraying water up on lid and dripping down tank
8. water level too high in tank and overflowing out handle opening. often when flush valve is replaced and tube not cut low enough

Old 11-11-19, 02:10 PM
At this point I wouldn't screw around with fixing what appears to be a broken toilet. Buy a new one. It does not need to be TOTO or an expensive unit. Even a cheap one will do the job. And if it leaks with a new toilet then you know that your install is faulty and wax ring or flange is not right.

Old 11-11-19, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
At this point I wouldn't screw around with fixing what appears to be a broken toilet. Buy a new one. It does not need to be TOTO or an expensive unit. Even a cheap one will do the job. And if it leaks with a new toilet then you know that your install is faulty and wax ring or flange is not right
if there is water it would be ovious if the toilet is pulled and there is water around the flange.

with toilet pulled look under toilet. up in the cavity under bowl.

I found a crack in a new toilet by putting dye heavy in the bowl. when I pulled the toilet and looked under the cavity there was blue dye seeping from underneath.

I went to that call 3 times and thought I was going crazy. it all looked like my wax seal but i have been doing this 33 years so I had to look outside the box. Plus I reset set it 4 times I believe.im not that bad of a plumber...

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 11-11-19, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
One comment I would make.... you say it doesn't leak when it's flushed, but if you set the toilet on the wax seal, then pushed it down... then shimmed it up again, (lifting it off the wax seal) I guarantee that would leak.

That being said, I would dry up the water and not flush it at all. Wait 24 hrs and see if it's leaking again. If it is you know it has nothing to do with flushing and it's either cracked or leaking from the tank.

Old 11-11-19, 04:14 PM
C
lawrosa, water coming out from the bottom of the toilet at the back side. I assumed this is from the wax ring since I can see.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: