New fill valve problem - was I taken?

Old 05-26-19, 05:52 AM
New fill valve problem - was I taken?

I have a Kohler Cimarron K-4418 which was installed in 2010. Recently it started to take forever to fill up and once in a blue moon, it would run and I would have to remove the cover and stop it.
I purchased a Fluidmaster Universal toilet fill valve and had a handyman install it. He flushed it a couple of times and all seemed fine. Later when we used the toilet, it did not flush so I called him back to fix it. He advised that I really should have used a better valve and at the same time, should have installed a new flush valve as well. Of course he gave me prices for the valve and for installation. Now I had the cost of the one replaced and the original install plus the new item and re-installation. C'mon.
I said I would consider it (if I did, he would not be the person who would do the work!)
To make it more interesting, when I went to flush the toilet later in the day, paper would not flush and I remembered that when he tested it, he held down the handle firmly for a couple of seconds. I tried this and it work.
I also notice that the water does not fill to the original fill line in the tank and is about 6' below. When a guest uses the toilet, am I supposed to tell them to hold down the handle???!!
So - anyone have any suggestions for me? I have to admit as well, that I am an 84 year old female.
Thanks-

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-19, 07:05 AM
Upvotes Received: 40
He should've advised you of the fact a better fill valve should be used from the beginning. He should've also adjusted the tank level from the beginning. Sometimes it takes several flushes to get it to the correct level. Holding the handle for a second or so is not an unusual phenomenon. I'm not sure but Kohler might have lifetime warranty on parts. Is so you might want to call them and get OEM parts. The current fill valve you have will have an adjustment to fill the tank. You need to look at the directions that came with it. If you have a ball float the rod can be bent or screwed to adjust the tank level.

PS... at 84 years young and using a forum such as this. I commend you. You know whats going on.

Old 05-26-19, 04:21 PM
Norm - thanks for the compliment - I try to keep up to date on things.
I looked at Kohler's website and I do not think parts are warranted - I did write to them.
I don't have the instructions because he put them in the box and took the box with him but I can look online. No, it does not have a ball float.
Thanks -

Old 05-26-19, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
Need to raise the water level...

also was the flapper changed too? Kohler has specific type flappers for thier toilets... often they have a dobber float on them to get the proper flush...

If the wrong one is put in then its an adjustment game with water levels and such....

Old 05-26-19, 10:28 PM
For one thing, Fluidmaster makes an excellent fill valve -- probably the best available. And he should've checked the flapper while he was there.

I'm sure that there are a lot of really good handy 'persons' out there, but they tend to stumble with plumbing & electric.

Old 05-27-19, 03:31 AM
Upvotes Received: 40
Good point about the flapper. I advise most of my customers, that if you're going replace the fill valve may as well replace the flapper too.