Is it possible to adjust this shower door?

Old 06-15-19, 05:16 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to adjust this shower door?

I've posted pictures below. Is there any way to adjust this? The bottom is hitting the "threshold" for lack of a better term. I can't open or close it easily - I basically have to bend the door to get it open / closed.

The screws shown at the top and bottom appear to be just keeping the door together. Loosening them or tightening them doesn't seem to affect anything. I've also attached pics of the various clearances around the door as well as a top view of how it's attached to the wall.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Name:  sd1.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  sd2.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  sd3.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  sd4.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  sd5.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  sd6.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  sd7.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  25.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-15-19 at 07:10 PM. Reason: reoriented/cropped/resized pictures
Old 06-15-19, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It looks like the screw holes are slightly slotted, so if they are, loosen the hinge screws a little bit, raise the door up, then tighten the screws again.

Old 06-15-19, 06:13 PM
T
Same as other one

It looks like the screw holes are slightly slotted, so if they are, loosen the hinge screws a little bit, raise the door up, then tighten the screws again.
Yeah, I can see where you might think that from the pic - I had to go back and look again. Both screws are exactly the same. It's not really a slot, more like a countersink. No way to slide up or down. Here's a better pic.

Name:  sd8.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  28.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-15-19 at 07:15 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized picture
Old 06-15-19, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Then you will need to take the face screws out of the hinge side of the frame (I can see some if them in photos 2, 3, 4) and pry the door (and the frame piece the hinges are mounted to) getting that piece to slide upward slightly. Then put the screws back in. (Might require predrilling a pilot hole for the screw). Be sure the frame piece doesn't slip left or right as that will affect the clearance on the latching side.

You might need to stick a shim or two under the door to keep it propped up. Then if you have a gap on the left side of the frame you will need to silicone that shut.

Old 06-15-19, 06:25 PM
T
Yeah... ugh... that's what I was afraid of... no adjustment capability.

I wonder if they did silicone the frame piece to the frame - I tried removing the screws and that piece didn't budge.

Old 06-15-19, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
The "adjustment" is sliding one half of the frame on the other half (top view, pic 4) and positioning it wherever you want it. Pretty sure it is probably just corroded with lime. (Stuck). Nothing block of wood and a big hammer won't fix. Once you get it to slip left and right it will probably slide up and down... once you cut/stretch the silicone at the bottom. You will just need to check your latch clearance before you start.. and be sure you have it the way you want it before you put the screws back in again.

tkstock voted this post useful.
Old 06-15-19, 07:02 PM
T
Thanks. I'll give it a go when I have more time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: