Toilet not sucking out all the water

Old 06-25-19, 10:42 PM
Toilet not sucking out all the water

Hi everyone - our toilet is not flushing all the way even when throwing a bucket full of water all at once. I kind of doubt it is clogged because when i throw the bucket there is no overflow, water just stays at the same level, not sucked out. (I tried the snake and the plunger just in case, and did not help.)

Quick google search suggested bad wax ring seal (mine actually has the green plastic/sponge one, I replaced it last year), but I do not understand why, as the pipes down the toilet are not vacuum, no?

Any other possibilities I should rule out before I lift the toilet?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-19, 12:55 AM
There is no "vacuum action" in the drainage piping of toilets. Assuming that you are pouring the bucket of water directly into the bowl as fast as you can without overflowing the bowl then it is almost certain you have partial plugging in the trapway of the toilet.

A regular plumbing snake will often go right through the trapway without affecting any foreign object, you need to use a specialty snake called a closet auger and even then it is not a sure thing.

Lots of things can get stuck in the trapway including pens, combs, small toys that a snake will pass right by but most assuredly will keep the toilet from flushing properly. If you have small children they often like to make a game of tossing small figurines going "diving" and they often won't tell you about it. Sometimes it is necessary to remove the toilet and working from the outlet force the object backwards to remove and some cases the object is so tightly wedged in place you have to replace the toilet.

Old 06-26-19, 04:04 AM
Before removing toilet, place a string(attached to a ping-pong ball and length to pass through the toilet) in the bowl and flush the toilet, When the toilet is removed , remove the ping-pong ball and replace with a kids ball (diameter smaller than toilet opening) and pull the string from the bowl end. This should remove any blockage. Good luck.

Old 06-26-19, 04:30 AM
And how do you securely attach that ping-ball ball? And the larger ball also. Seems to me if you need to remove the toilet, why bother with the ball.

But I agree with you both that a partial clog is the problem.

Old 06-26-19, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
I too think you have a partial clog. The line is open enough to let the water flow through at a reasonable rate but not enough to let the big slug of water from a flush go through without being slowed down causing a partial flush.

Old 06-26-19, 10:27 AM
<<Assuming that you are pouring the bucket of water directly into the bowl as fast as you can without overflowing the bowl then it is almost certain you have partial plugging in the trapway of the toilet. >>

Yeah I throw a homedepot type of bucket full all down within 2-3 seconds. Toilet does not overflow, not even close. That's what puzzles me. But yes I will get a proper toilet auger and try again. Thank you!

Old 06-26-19, 12:51 PM
Norm 201. You can super glue, bondo, gorilla glue, etc. the string to the ping-pong ball, All you want is to help the string get over the apex in the discharge tube and out the exit. Being the obstruction was created when the direction was bowl to exit, the easiest way to clear the obstruction is to pull a device from the exit to the bowl. Something round like a ball is not going to get hung up by the discharge tube. Use whatever fits. Using a needle you can pass the string through a tennis ball, If a Wiffle ball fits , tying the string to the ball is easier. GET CREATIVE.

Old 06-26-19, 10:45 PM
No luck with the auger. I used this one. The auger went all the way in, couple of times very easily, other times it was quite hard, to the point that the tip of the auger is now kind of bent. It gets hard after 2ft more or less. I do not know if this is expected given the trapway design or is just because I am hitting something.

I am attaching a photo of the trapway. Maybe I should use a 6ft auger instead? Or it is time to remove the toilet? Thanks again!

Attached Images  
Old 06-27-19, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
That auger will work on the toilet but can't get down into your drain line. You need a regular/full size auger for that and will have to pull the toilet for better access. I would pick up a replacement wax ring if you remove the toilet. I have not had good luck with the waxless types. The foam ones go flat and no longer seal and can't be reused in my experience.

Old 06-27-19, 05:32 AM
The vent in the drain pipe (stack) into which the far end of the toilet drain discharges might be clogged. Such a vent is required for the toilet and all drains to work properly.

In most cases the vent ends after going through the roof. Get an experienced person to go up there and check for the vent being clogged, possibly using something vaguely similar to the ball on a string (one pound fishing sinker on a string?).

Wax rings for toilet bowls cannot be reused. A new ring is needed whenever the toilet bowl is reinstalled.

Old 06-29-19, 04:55 PM
Photo in post 8 shows toilet discharge path has 4 changes in direction. Seems impossible to get any cleanout device around all the changes in direction going from the bowl to the exit. Still like the idea in post 3..

Old 07-03-19, 10:11 PM
So we had somebody check it out. Tried the auger etc but no luck. He said it is not the vent but not sure why he reached that conclusion since my wife told me he did not get to the roof (I could not be there myself). He just said we need a new toilet bowl. Kind of frustrating as he just tried same I tried. I guess I'll end up removing the toilet myself and see if I can force the object backwards or if not just get a new toilet.

Old 07-04-19, 04:02 AM
Group Moderator
Do you have young children? Balls are the worst as their smooth shape allows a snake to go around it making you think there is nothing in there.

Old 07-15-19, 09:43 AM
So I ended up replacing the toilet. It was pretty old anyways. New one works great.

I set up the old toilet outside lifted with a few pieces of wood. Threw a bucket of water and still would not flush it out correctly. I tried to pass the auger backwards but did not get anything coming out. Also tried various other suggestions in this thread with no luck. Maybe something else was wrong with that toilet, but I will never get to know...

Anyway - thank you all for your comments/suggestions!

Old 07-15-19, 10:14 AM
Since it's being thrown out why not break it and find out what's blocking it?

Dan1973 liked this post.
Old 07-15-19, 05:30 PM
I saw a similar problem with a wall mount toilet in an office building. When the toilet was finally pulled off the wall, there was a Bic pen caught in it near the outlet.

Old 07-16-19, 07:46 PM
@Norm201 -- I was unsure how to dispose it, but after comment I checked with my county and toilets can be put in the garbage!

So... I just broke it and I could not see anything!! Unless it was a piece of porcelain itself the blocking reason!? I did not see anything other than just that after I broke it. So puzzling! As I said I did try full home-depot type buckets after removing it so it has to be the trapway... Anyway no regrets as it was an old toilet anyway...