garbage disposal: a problem or not?

Old 06-27-19, 03:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garbage disposal: a problem or not?

Hello, have had this powerful Waste King disposal for several years without using it very much. In part, because it has always been very very loud and vibrated somewhat when used. Because of the vibration I've had to re-seat it couple of times with a new putty seal.

It had stopped working recently, the motor only humming when on. I un-jammed it with a disposal wrench and found a beat-up metal 5/8" OD washer sitting on the flywheel with two impellers/blades (or is it called impeller plate?) (see attached photos).

What is really puzzling to me is that the disposal is very quiet now, has zero vibration, works great, and is fun to use for the first time since it's been installed.

I was wondering about what was wrong with it before, if that washer could be a part of the disposal that came loose, and why is it suddenly smooth and quiet?

Could it be that the washer got stuck somewhere inside shortly after installation and had been giving all that noise and vibration until jamming the flywheel?

Would appreciate any comment as I'm not sure what's going on.

Best, h.

Name:  d1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  d2.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  35.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-28-19 at 08:59 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

06-27-19, 07:57 PM
steve888
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
A very long time ago I got a call for a jammed disposal. I unplugged it and found a nickel in there. Problem solved.

I gave the lady an invoice and she looked at me and, in bad temper, said, "That cost me $50?".

I handed her the nickel and said, "No, it's $49.95".

Old 06-27-19, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
For all we know that washer has nothing to do with the disposal.

Old 06-27-19, 05:40 PM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Found on the inside, guess that would explain all the noise, humm, and vibration.

Looks like it's been chewed up for some time!

Enjoy the peace and quiet!

Old 06-27-19, 07:57 PM
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
A very long time ago I got a call for a jammed disposal. I unplugged it and found a nickel in there. Problem solved.

I gave the lady an invoice and she looked at me and, in bad temper, said, "That cost me $50?".

I handed her the nickel and said, "No, it's $49.95".

Baldwin, CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 06-28-19, 12:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Appreciate all the responses! Yes, apparently the washer was the cause of all the noise and vibration. And I had been blaming the stainless sink, which I believed was too thin for the heavy and powerful disposal. While it used to be noisy and vibrated noticeably before this incident, it never made metal-on-metal grinding noise.

$50 sounds like a while ago.