Shower Valve Rough-In

Old 07-20-19, 05:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Valve Rough-In

I'm roughing in the plumbing for a bathroom with a shower. The shower valve I've installed is a Delta R10000. Later today I was planning to hook the water lines up to my homes plumbing, but a thought him me. Since there isn't a trim kit installed in the valve yet, right now the hot and cold water will both run into the valve, and then theoretically the cold water could flow back into the hot water line feed -- and vice versa -- if there were negative pressure on the line (like when someone turned another shower in the house on). Is this a concern to have, or does this not really happen in practice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-19, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
The faucet doesn't care if there is an escutcheon plate is there or not. When the faucet is off it's off. Cross feeding generally is not a concern. The slightly tricky part will be to make sure the valve is in the off position before turning off the water.

Old 07-25-19, 09:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I don't know how they compare to other valves, but the Delta R10000 valve is more what I would call a valve casing. It's a solid hunk of metal with no moving parts in it. The actual valve mechanism - the piece that controls the flow of hot and cold - comes with the trim kit and inserts into the R10000 valve.

As I was suspecting, once I installed the valve (casing), the hot water in the rest of our house became a little less hot. I ended up just putting shut-off valves on the hot and cold shower inlets so I could keep them closed up until I install the trim kit at a later date.