Replacing tub overflow/drain lever assembly

Old 07-22-19, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Replacing tub overflow/drain lever assembly

I searched the forum and this must be such a simple DIY no one has ever posted it! The drain lever broke off in my wife's hand so I took the old one off, snapped some pics and went to the big box hardware store. The chrome plate assembly with drain lever seems pretty standard but my (twenty year) old one had a metal semi-circular metal part behind it that corroded away. It was held on by the two screws in the photo below that are hidden behind the chrome finish plate. All that's left of is the rusted scrap in the other photo. I did not see this part on the wall with all the others; is it critical to the operation?

Name:  bt1.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  bt2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  28.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-24-19 at 09:52 PM. Reason: resized pictures

Popular Reply

07-24-19, 06:26 AM
CasualJoe
Received 114 Votes on 101 Posts
I believe you'll need to replace the entire tub drain/overflow unless you can figure out who the manufacturer is, but I think that would be doubtful. I always look for a good solid brand such as from Gerber Brass on items like this and stay away from the cheapy box store brands.

Old 07-24-19, 06:26 AM
I believe you'll need to replace the entire tub drain/overflow unless you can figure out who the manufacturer is, but I think that would be doubtful. I always look for a good solid brand such as from Gerber Brass on items like this and stay away from the cheapy box store brands.

eddieo45, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 07-24-19, 06:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 973 Votes on 894 Posts
Some overflow tubes had a separate piece that held the overflow tightly against the tub while other models relied on the face plate holding everything together. The important thing to remember is that even when new it's a pretty poor seal between the tub and overflow which only gets worse with age. So, never rely on the overflow as they often leak. This is especially bad with children and filling the tub very high.

eddieo45 voted this post useful.
Old 07-25-19, 06:30 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I bought the $9 cheap part at the big box store but also went to a legit plumbing supply store. While the had no answers about the semi-circular part they did have nice solid Gerber part for under $15, so I'll be returning the cheap one.
Some overflow tubes had a separate piece that held the overflow tightly against the tub while other models relied on the face plate holding everything together....
I just torqued the two lower screws down, cleaned up the whole area, and the Gerber sits perfectly. Thanks for the replies.

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-19, 11:06 AM
I am glad you found the Gerber to be to your liking, I like them too. The one I have here at home is all brass, but they have since started making them with the actual drain and and overflow of PVC. I installed one like that maybe 20 years ago and wasn't sure I would like it, but after installing it I had a great deal more confidence in it and felt it was also good quality stuff.

eddieo45, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 07-26-19, 03:50 AM
Received 378 Votes on 342 Posts
The newer PVC trip lever assemblies are much better. I try to convince any customer with a corroded assembly to replace with the plastic type.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: