Toilet tank bolts with only one nut?

Old 07-28-19, 12:43 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Toilet tank bolts with only one nut?

Hello

Have you Ever seen a toilet tank with only one nut holding the tank on each side so that’s really two nuts

instead Of the nut directly under the tank there’s a washer that extends through the hole instead of the simple washer. So the nut that holds the tank to the bowl is also applying the pressure to the tank washer.

Usually there’s one nut directly under the tank and all it does is apply pressure to the washer. Then the bolt extends into and thru the bowl where the second nut holds the tank to the bowl.

I noticed this when I tighten the screw because of the leaking tank. Which stopped the leak. I am wondering if I should just replace Bolts and washers. With a more standard washer. Not even sure I could buy that washer they have in there that extends through the whole

Old 07-28-19, 01:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I have seen toilet tanks installed like that and I don't like it. It seems to work but I think it encourages over tightening the nuts which could crack the tank. I would add another nut and washer so you can tighten the bolt to the tank and get it to seal then have a separate nut to hold the tank to the bowl.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 07-28-19, 05:21 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. It just does not seem like a good way to do it

Old 07-28-19, 06:12 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I much prefer the three bolt tank to seat. Much easier to balance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: