Toilet Fill valve hissing

Old 08-20-19, 03:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Fill valve hissing

I have one of those $8 Korky fill valves. It's making a hissing noise at rest and sometimes it sounds like water gurgles or drips even though I don't think the flapper is leaking. At first I thought the toilet may need to be replaced but want to ask if anyone has heard this hissing noise before. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-19, 03:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 151 Posts
How high is the water level in the tank?

If it's at the top of the overflow tube try adjusting the fill valve so the water is about 1/2" below the top of the overflow valve.

If the water is below the top of the fill valve it's usually a leaking flapper valve even if you don't see it leaking. You can put food coloring, cola or milk in the tank (anything to color the water) and see if the color appears in the bowl after a while. If you see color in the bowl the flapper is leaking.

Old 08-20-19, 03:51 AM
Received 50 Votes on 50 Posts
Check this video, it addresses this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF6gKvlxICA

Old 08-20-19, 07:54 PM
Sometimes this leaking problem happens when the chain connecting the flapper gets caught up with the flapper when it is dropping down to seal the tank and it doesn't seal right. Check if the chain is perhaps too tight or loose and whether you are getting a smooth flapper drop when you let go of the flush handle.

Old 08-21-19, 03:11 AM
Definitely s faulty fill valve. It was tricky because the first time I looked at it the way level was fine. About 1 inch below the overflow tube opening. Looked later in the day and it was overflowing into the tube. It seems sometime the cut off function was working and other times not.