How do I fix this leak?

Old 08-25-19, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I fix this leak?

We have lived here for 7 years. My wife cleans out under the sink about once a year, and for the first time there was water there. I ran some water and it comes out right at the top. Presumably I loosen the fitting an replace a gasket, but I sure don't have a wrench to fit it, and don't know what gasket is required.

Any help (links to appropriate sites; advice...) would be greatly appreciated.

It isn't just a drip; it gushes out. Why would it have gone bad. (house is 14 years old)

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-19, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 182 Posts
You might just want to get a new basket for the sink. It will come with a new gasket. You put a ring of plumbers putty (or clear silicone) around the sink hole then press the new basket down from above... then you tighten that large ring from below. A large adjustable waterpump pliers will usually work to tighten it, or you can buy the specific tool that is used... a basket wrench. There are probably a hundred videos out there that show how it's done, if you prefer to watch something first.

Old 08-27-19, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1) Someone I tried to borrow a basket wrench from said he had done several using a hammer and screwdriver. I got the old one off using that. It is okay to put the new one on with them, or is that going to cause a problem?
2) Putty or silicon? Going to have to buy either one. The videos I watched show putty.
3) The thick rubber gasket is fine. The cardboard washer is a mess. Since everything looks okay, I could just cut a new cardboard washer. Anything wrong with that?

In fact everything looks okay, except the cardboard washer. Maybe I should have just tried tightening it first?

Obviously I haven't done much plumbing.

Last edited by Toller; 08-27-19 at 10:53 AM.