New portable dishwasher has me stumped

Old 10-08-19, 11:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New portable dishwasher has me stumped

Hello. I'm just a home owner and not a professional plumber and I hope someone has an idea on what could be causing this problem. I just bought a Whirlpool portable dishwasher that works great if it hooked up to the sink faucet as designed. I really would prefer to not have to pull it across the floor but have it plumbed kind of like built in. We have an old house with little kitchen counter for a regular built in dishwasher. So I have it sitting over against the wall with the factory drain and supply hoses disconnected and stuffed underneath the chassis. I have an aftermarket drain hose connected to it and running through the floor to a utility sink in the basement. I have a aftermarket 48" dishwasher supply line with the L-shaped faucet connector hooked up to the dishwasher inlet and running through the floor and connected to a 1/2 MIP adapter on the 3/4 Pex house hot water line. This machine is not getting much water at all when I run a cycle. The rest of the house has great water pressure even the upstairs bath that is connected to one side of the 3/4 Pex tee that the dishwasher is connected to. As I said at the beginning of this long winded post the dishwasher works great with the factory hoses connected to the sink. What could be causing this machine to not get enough water to run? There is a faucet supply line under the faucet that is probably the same size as my aftermarket supply line but the machine gets plenty of water when it's hooked to the sink faucet. I am stumped?

Old 10-08-19, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,332 Upvotes on 2,991 Posts
The drain line can't go straight down or the sump will gravity drain out.
The hose needs to go up first.... just like with a built-in dishwasher.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 10-08-19, 04:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well PJMax, my friend, you nailed it. This is the first dishwasher I ever put in, even if it was a portable, and in my ignorance I assumed the only purpose of the drain hose going up first was to prevent the sink or garbage disposal next to the dishwasher from backing up into the dishwasher. I know now it also holds the water in the washer to be used for washing then is pumped out, I believe. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: