Leakage in living room on 1 spot only.

Old 10-31-19, 12:27 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leakage in living room on 1 spot only.

Hello, i noticed a leakage( occasionally) at 1 spot in our living room.
we have 2 bathrooms ground floor and 1st floor.

the problem is linked when we shower on 1st floor's bathroom.

- if we occasionally use the shower tub on 1st floor . we dont see leakage.
- if we heavily use the bathroom for shower ( like 3/4 showers in a row when guests are here)
- we see water down stairs in our living room seems to be coming from 1 side.

for normal bathroom use their is no leakage except the bathroom tub , when heavily used.

need some basic steps advise on how to
- track exactly where the leakage is

Old 10-31-19, 12:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Can you access the bottom side of the tub from an adjoining room? Does the bath rm floor get wet during heavy usage of the shower/tub?

Old 10-31-19, 04:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Are you located in N. America? You are referring to the upper level as the 1st floor (we refer to it as the 2nd floor) which makes me think you are in Europe which does things a bit differently.

It sounds like you have a small leak. Start by investigating the source. You need to be specific and put water in only one location at a time to isolate the source of the leak.

First fill the tub with water to normal bath level and let it sit for a few hours and see if it leaks.

If no leak then run the shower so it sprays directly into the tub without hitting any walls. Let it run as long as 3 or 4 showers take and see if you have a leak.

If still no leak then do the shower test again but aim it at a section of your shower surround.

Old 11-01-19, 12:06 PM
I
Thank you for suggestions.

yes i am in N America. ground floor and 1st floor( 2nd floor as per Europe standard).

I follow the suggestions in order to isolate the problem .

will update this forum accordingly.

Old 11-02-19, 11:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Don't be afraid to cut sheetrock to find the leak - you're just going to be replacing the stuff that got wet in the first place if you don't get this fixed,

Old 11-04-19, 07:05 AM
I
As per the suggestion by Pilot Dane, i filled the tub with Water( Almost Full). and yes after some time we got the same leakage again. Which confirms that its from Tub not from Walls.

Please suggest the next steps . my concern now as DIY beginner is

- to track leakage source ( From Drainage Pipe or from the drainage hole in tub.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-19, 09:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Start watching videos on how to install a tub drain. You may need to re-do the drain fitting on the tub. Unscrewing the old drain flange (labeled tub basket in the image below) will probably be the most difficult part of the job. Sometimes you can put the handle end of channel lock pliers into the drain then turn it by sticking a screwdriver through the wrench. Clean out any old plumbers putty. Install new putty and re-install the drain flange.

Old 11-05-19, 06:39 AM
I
Thank you Pilot Dane. I will start looking into it . I will update the group once i am done. It will get few days. as i need to get comfortable with he procedure.

Thank you for educate me on this.

Old 11-05-19, 11:05 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Start watching videos on how to install a tub drain.

When installing anew tub drain/overflow, do not buy one of the cheapies from the box stores. I prefer Gerber Brass products, but they are generally only available through wholesale plumbing outlets. I have used both brass and PVC models from Gerber and was happy with both of them, the PVC model being less expensive and easier to install. Stores like Home Depot and Lowes will have some good ones on their websites, but rarely stock them. The last one I installed was actually a brass model from Moen that I ordered from Lowes website.

Here's a tip that will save you 15% - 20% at Lowes. Find the model number of the item you want on Lowes website and then Google that model number to find a less expensive offer. On the Moen drain I last ordered I found the exact same item on the Walmart website for almost 20% less. I printed the Walmart site page and took it to Lowes and they price matched it for me and ordered it in to the store so no shipping charges for me either.

Old 11-07-19, 06:43 AM
I
Hello,
I was able to fix my problem at least so far. by the process of elimination, we concluded that its the tub drain causing the issue. as suggested we just reseal the tub basket with plumbers putty and that did the trick. we observed the whole day yesterday . and didnt notice any leaking. looks like it did the trink but i will post my final updates later today .

Thank you all for helping and giving an education to solve this cheaply.

Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: