Resetting toilet: what was that sound?

Old 11-04-19, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Resetting toilet: what was that sound?

I wish I had taken some pictures to help explain things, but I didn't think of it until later. These late night projects never go well, anyway!

Here goes...

The half-bath on our first floor has had odor issues since we moved in ~1 year ago. The toilet was a bit wobbly, too (didn't catch that on inspection). When I removed the toilet to inspect, I found the closet flange was almost 1" below the top of the ceramic tile floor. It was clear the tile floor had been installed later. The wax ring had failed due to the toilet shifting, and there was evidence of long-term "water" damage. To raise the flange to floor level, I took three 1/4" flange spacers and siliconed them into place on top of the (offset) closet flange. The original flange had 2" wood screws that were not holding. I used four 4" SS wood screws to anchor into the original flange plus spacer flanges, and got all four screws down into solid wood. So far, so good.

The two toilet bolts remained in the original flange, but were long enough for re-mounting the toilet.

A new Danco Perfect Seal wax ring was installed to account for any future toilet movements, just in case. I reset the toilet base and began installing the nuts. No problem here. Both sides tightened up well, and the toilet base did not move anymore. I did hear something shifting as I slowly tightened the nuts, but the toilet base was firm and I ignored it. After re-setting the tank, leveling and re-filling, everything looked good. I flushed a couple of times with no visible problems. As I wrapped up, I tightened up each anchor nut a few more times... and then heard a loud crack from below. Both nuts remained tight and the toilet still didn't move, so I thought maybe a flange cracked. After sleeping on it, I'm not so sure. What are the odds the offset flange pulled loose from the sanitary piping?

I HATE to pull it all apart again, but I don't want to find a wet basement ceiling in 2-3 weeks, either. I'd rather fix it now than find a bigger mess earlier.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-19, 10:09 AM
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I think you have already answered your own question.
You are going to end up pulling it as it is bugging you.
I would be the same way try to come up with excuses not to pull it as it is a pain.
But it would keep on bugging me till I got sick of worrying about it and pulled it.
Better to do it now as odds are high that you will end up doing it anyway.

Old 11-12-19, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Follow-up: yes, I pulled the whole thing out again and checked the drain. No visible cracks and no spots in the basement ceiling when I poured water into the open flange. Further inspection downstairs revealed a wood ceiling support had pulled up from the gyp board. Back upstairs, the right side of the flange was now ~1/4" higher than the tile floor. I guess those 4" screws really did hit something solid and I pulled the board loose when anchoring the toilet bolts. The basement ceiling crack is in hallway with a stomp texture finish, so only I will notice the crack. I put everything back again, re-leveled, and re-filled. No further leaks and no more odors. I'll consider this job complete!

-Brad

Old 11-13-19, 06:25 AM
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Thanks for getting back on this.

One less thing to worry about, now you can move on to the next thing.
Seems there is always a next thing, at least that is how it works with me,