How to add trim to shower rough in plumbing?

Old 12-15-19, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to add trim to shower rough in plumbing?

We had to redo our bathroom walls & floors because of a leak (both bathrooms) and went ahead and took all of the copper lines out and replaced with PEX. Plumber left this rough-in plumbing in photo before we added the walls & tile. How do I add the trim to this setup? Do I just unscrew the shower piece in photos to add the shower head rod? Do I cut the copper faucet piece to slide the new faucet on?

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  71.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-15-19 at 07:27 PM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-19, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Usually the plumber finishes the fixture installation.

The two shower head pipes should not have been plastered in.
Those pipes get removed and you install chrome pipes with a trim escutcheon ring.

Can be the same with the spout based on what you purchased.
Some can mount to the copper and others will screw in directly.

Old 12-16-19, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 272 Posts
Do you or your plumber have the parts for your fixture?

You may have difficulty with the tub spout. That stub out is usually copper as it provides support for the spout. You will have a tough time unscrewing the PEX fitting inside the wall but if you can get it out you can thread in copper for mounting the spout. But, this is all something the plumber usually does as part of their work.

Old 12-16-19, 05:47 AM
The spout stub out is copper, just covered in some dust at the moment. I will clean that up before install. It is closed off on the end though, like the attached photo. I have a copper pipe cutter, should I snip off the closed end and slip the spout on? It is a slip on type spout, just not sure the correct way to do it.

But the shower pipe looks to like it is only a temporary piece just to keep the hole open during tile installation. Should I bust out some of that plaster around those pipes to unscrew it?

My plumber is saying that installing the trim will cost extra as he only provided the rough in on the previous quote.

Attached Images  
Old 12-16-19, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
Good, you've got a copper stub out for the tub spout. You will need to cut it off the correct length for your tub spout. The instructions will have the length or you can stick a tape measure up into the spout. Make sure to leave enough to shove into the spout and where the set screw can reach it. If in doubt leave the stub out long. Slide the spout on as far as it will go. Then measure the gap between the back of the spout and wall. Cut off that much plus about 1/4".

Yes, I would gently chip out the grout, mortar and anything right around the pipe. Then you can unscrew the pipe that's there and screw in the pretty shower neck with it's escutcheon plate.

Old 12-16-19, 08:57 AM
Gotcha and understood. Thanks!

Old 12-16-19, 12:01 PM
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
I am not too impressed with your plumber's ability to read a rule or measure to correctly center the faucets. Hopefully everything else was done correctly. What I don't understand is why you would replace copper pipes with pex? Maybe I am just old school, but to me that is like trading in a Cadillac for a Chevrolet Spark.

Old 12-16-19, 12:25 PM
Needless to say, I would not hire this plumber again.

It's old house and the copper was showing signs of age and leaked in a lot of spots behind the walls and under the floor. This is why we had to redo both bathrooms entirely as they butted up against the same wall with the problem. From what I've head though, PEX is in more demand these days than copper as they are much easier to work on if any issues.

Old 12-16-19, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
The well water in some parts of my county is very corrosive to copper. I've had some die at about 20 years but 30-50 years and the copper is paper thin, eaten inside out by the water. So, for me PEX is a far superior product. It's also nice on my rental houses when vacant because it (the tubing) withstands freezing without damage.

Old 12-16-19, 04:22 PM
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
I have not seen problems like that with older copper pipes, but suppose it's a possibility especially if the water has a low pH. If so I would be inclined to replace the copper because of the lead based solder used back then. I know two plumbers who do high dollar custom homes and also less expensive subdivision homes. They both tell me the demand for pex in subdivisions is typically because of the cheap price and lower labor cost. They also both tell me the $400,000 to $3,000,000 custom homes still get all copper.

Needless to say, I would not hire this plumber again.
I wasn't going to say that, but since you mentioned it, I'll agree with you.

Old 12-16-19, 04:37 PM
Received 142 Votes on 132 Posts
It is a slip on type spout
I have never heard of a slip on tub spout, everyone I have dealt with had a male threaded adapter soldered to the end and the spout screwed onto it?

I googled, they dont get very good ratings, lots of leaks!