Mortaring job for toilet bowl

Old 12-22-19, 07:23 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mortaring job for toilet bowl

Hi,

I recently needed to pull my toilet bowl away from the wall. After I did this I realized that this cracked the mortar that was sealing the toilet bowl to the floor.

The floor in my bathroom is not at all level, and my guess is that the mortar plus the plastic shims underneath the bowl were keeping the toilet level and providing a seal.

The attached photos are of the mortar that used to seal the bottom of the toilet bowl.

Does anyone know a good guide for remortaring the toilet bowl?

Thank you

Name:  t1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  t2.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  53.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-22-19 at 08:33 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-19, 09:05 AM
A
Received 81 Votes on 75 Posts
The bottom of the toilet bowl must not touch the drain flange on the floor. Do a test fit without the wax ring and with a few layers of corrugated cardboard underneath. The toilet must not rock.

The ideal clearance between toilet bowl bottom and flange is about a quarter of an inch although this is hard to gauge accurately and is not a hard and fast rule.

Even if you use plaster or mortar, it may still be necessary to use shims embedded in the preceding. This is to make sure you don't settle the toilet too far down on one side and eventually raise it a smidgen to get it level and also end up spoiling the wax seal.

Old 12-31-19, 07:06 PM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
Looks to me like the floor was replaced with a new ceramic tile floor without removing the toilet.