Advice about my rusted closet flange

Old 01-01-20, 12:20 PM
X
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Advice about my rusted closet flange

Hey all,

I noticed a leak in my drywall and found it to be my toilet from the second floor. I removed the toilet and found this mess. Mind you, I've already cleaned up the area. (FYI, I've plugged up the hole so no gasses leak out)

The outer metal flange is rusted and a screw had easily broke in half when I was removing the spacer that was placed on top of the metal. (Removed in the pictures)
Also, there was a good deal of "dirt", which I'm assuming was just the rotted wood floor?

Based on what you see in these pictures, is it worth salvaging the wood sub-floor and adding a flange repair kit? I'll also use a spacer to bring it above the tile - which it was not with the previous installer.

Or, do I need to completely remove the old flange to repair the sub-floor?

Name:  d1.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  109.9 KB

Name:  d2.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  d3.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  65.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-15-20 at 06:45 PM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Old 01-01-20, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Looks like its a glue in hub type flange.. I see the elbow right below floor..

An inside pipe glue flange would be best... Most likly pvc to abs..

Add a spacer to keep the flange at or above floor level. Cut to size.

But looks like they have a glue inside pipe abs model.. Just glue it over the old but be sure to line up bolt holes properly.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-ABS-Flange/50315063

xMarc voted this post useful.
Old 01-01-20, 12:42 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Is the sub floor soft? If it is then yes replace/repair the sub floor.

xMarc voted this post useful.
Old 01-02-20, 10:35 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
An inside pipe glue flange would be best

Mike, will an inside pipe glue flange fit into the old flange? What about the rusted metal ring, does it stay or need to be removed.

I hate those old flanges with the steel rings that rust away and I think I have one coming up to be replaced in my future too. The ones I see today are stainless, but I think I'd prefer to just use a PVC flange if it were a new installation.

Old 01-02-20, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Inside flange should fit in old flange. Yes just leave metal ring on old. when flange glues in push it down to the proper height. Then secure it with ss screws..

Old 01-03-20, 10:11 AM
Mike, one more question. The OP has a spacer because the flange was installed on the subfloor, but my flange to be replaced is installed on top of porcelain tile with no spacer. Will an inside pipe glue flange still be the one to use or is there a different product that might work better?

Old 01-04-20, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Mike, one more question. The OP has a spacer because the flange was installed on the subfloor, but my flange to be replaced is installed on top of porcelain tile with no spacer. Will an inside pipe glue flange still be the one to use or is there a different product that might work better?
Id have to see it. If its above floor already I cut out the old with an inside cutter to get in new flange to proper height.

But some times if sub floor of slab I use half moons..

Old 01-04-20, 09:40 AM
I am glad you included that picture showing an application of the half moons, that might be what I'll need. This porcelain tile floor is over a concrete base and is 95 years old, I know there is a wood subfloor under it somewhere, just don't know how far down for sure.

Where can I find those half moons?

Old 01-07-20, 05:31 AM
X
Hey all,

I removed the rusted metal ring and got down to the subfloor. I had 2" of underlayment to get through! Fortunately, the subfloor was not soft.

My current plan is to replace the metal ring that rusted with a stainless steel flange. The plastic inside the pipe is fine. It's available from Lowe's and made by Oatey. I'm sure there are others around as well!
Oatey Stainless Steel Flange

I'll upload some updated pics, a bit later today, of the ring removed and underlayment taken down.

I plan on replacing the underlayment with cement board and using spacers to bring my flange above the tile.

​​If anyone has input or questions, please feel free to ask/share!

​​EDIT for pictures::::

The first pic is with the metal ring flange just removed. I used aviation sheers to cut it and a chisel to pull it back.

The second pic is when I took out about 2" of underlayment - cement board. Previous owner had tiled over the vinyl that was originally installed when the house was built.

Name:  d4.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  d5.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  66.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-15-20 at 06:52 PM. Reason: imported/cropped/resized pictures
Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-09-20, 04:17 PM
My current plan is to replace the metal ring that rusted with a stainless steel flange. The plastic inside the pipe is fine. It's available from Lowe's and made by Oatey.
Your first pictures appear that you have ABS pipe, but the new flange you linked to at Lowes is PVC.

Old 01-10-20, 05:30 AM
X
Casualjoe, the link in my previous post should send you to a metal flange that fits around, two half moons, PVC/abs pipe.

Old 01-10-20, 07:42 AM
X
Anyone have ideas on how to raise my flange up a full inch so that it's above my tile? It's hard to see in the pictures previously, but the flange is much lower than the tile and that's what caused my leak.

I see some spacers only allow a max of two to be put together. That would only give me .5" 's of lift.

Thoughts/ideas are welcomed!

Old 01-10-20, 08:48 AM
Casualjoe, the link in my previous post should send you to a metal flange that fits around, two half moons, PVC/abs pipe.

I was just commenting on what you called your current plan in post #9.

Old 01-11-20, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Pull rag out and post pic

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: