Both toilets are clogged.

Old 01-09-20, 02:53 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Both toilets are clogged.

When one did not flush, I used the other one. That didn't flush, either. Is it likely that sewer is clogged, not individual toilets. I used plungers multiple times with no difference.

I rented a snake from home depot. Should I feed it from the driveway cleanout port (upstream)? Or would you recommend removing the toilet and snake downstream? Thank you.

By the way, how does this open?

Attached Images  

Last edited by paker; 01-09-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-09-20, 03:50 PM
Received 504 Votes on 467 Posts
Is it likely that sewer is clogged
The sewer is not clogged but something downstream from your toilets are.

Start with the easiest path, go from the closest/lowest toilet to where the line exits your house.

would you recommend removing the toilet
No, snakes will make it through the trap!

Old 01-09-20, 04:02 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The sewer is not clogged but something downstream from your toilets are.
Thank you for the encouragement.

Start with the easiest path, go from the closest/lowest toilet to where the line exits your house.
One is closer to the street than the other. I moved to this house last year but as far as I can tell, there is no cleanout port inside the house. The only one is in the driveway. Do you mean to push snake from this port upstream toward the closer-to-the-street toilet?

This cleanout port is at least 4-5 feet deep. Assuming it is a tee-ed from the 6" main pipe, how do I know if the snake will go upstream, not downstream?

Last edited by paker; 01-09-20 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-10-20, 12:48 AM
Received 504 Votes on 467 Posts
Do you mean to push snake from this port upstream toward the closer-to-the-street toilet?
Start at the toilet first, if it's clogged it usually, not always, is closer to the toilet than the street!

Old 01-10-20, 05:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 910 Votes on 838 Posts
You can get some idea where the clog is located by how long it takes for the backup to appear. Empty pipe can hold a good bit of water. If the backup appears quickly you know the clog is close. If you can run a lot of water before the backup appears then the clog is further away.

If nothing else in the house is backing up then it's possible (though really unlucky) that you have two clogs. If it's a main line that's clogged you'll also have backups at other fixtures. Usually it backs up first in tub and shower drains.

Old 01-10-20, 08:44 AM
Received 111 Votes on 98 Posts
I rented a snake from home depot. Should I feed it from the driveway cleanout port (upstream)? Or would you recommend removing the toilet and snake downstream? Thank you.

By the way, how does this open?
It appears that a 6 point socket would remove the cover bolts. My best guess is that this cleanout will only allow you to cable the lateral to the street.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: