Installed new faucet, tightened and not working

Old 01-15-20, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installed new faucet, tightened and not working

I installed a new bathroom faucet. It went flawlessly as it should and it worked fine. I decided to tighten the compression hot and cold water lines a little bit more just to be on the safe side (but they still were not super tight). I went and did another project and went to use the sink and no hot water.

I took off the hot water hose and it looked fine (it had a mesh filter on the end). The hot water comes out of the wall when I turn the water back on. I am not sure what could have happened.

I am guessing a clog in the hot water line or in the faucet but with the mesh filter I am not sure how that would happen.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-20, 03:21 PM
Received 119 Votes on 109 Posts
Remove the aerator from the spout and let it flush out the supply lines.

Old 01-15-20, 03:56 PM
I took apart the faucet. There was no aerator (waterfall type faucet) but there was a cartridge. I took that out and put a towel above the hole and ran the hot and cold water out the top (single handle faucet) to try and flush it out. I put it back together and still no hot water. Seems like I might need a new cartridge (already)?

Old 01-15-20, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
Give the cartridge a good looking over. Maybe there is a piece of debris jamming it in place.

Old 01-15-20, 04:36 PM
There isn't much to look at frankly that I can see. The top turns freely and the bottom I don't see anything obvious.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-20, 05:35 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
What brand of faucet is it? A name brand or a store brand? I believe my next step would be to call the manufacturer.

Old 01-15-20, 05:42 PM
Store brand. HD. Glacier Bay. Of course, it was something I ordered online so it cannot easily be swapped at the store.

Old 01-15-20, 05:46 PM
I never buy a store brand faucet, too many problems with them as well as problems sourcing repair parts because you really have no idea who the manufacturer in China is. I prefer Delta with Moen as my second choice.

You already bought it so I think the next step should be to pull out the installation instructions and look for a phone number to call with problems. If that doesn't work, call Home Depot and ask for help or remove it and return it and buy a name brand faucet.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-15-20, 07:41 PM
You're probably right about buying a better faucet. The surprising thing is this was working for at least a brief while. Maybe the tightening had zero to do with the failure though.

Old 01-16-20, 10:42 AM
Maybe the tightening had zero to do with the failure though.
That's a true statement, tightening the compression joints did not affect the faucet.