grout around tub loose, falling out

Old 01-17-20, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
grout around tub loose, falling out

About a year ago new tiles installed and grouted for bath/shower surround. A fiberglass tub was installed.

The only window in the bathroom is above the tub/shower. The only way to open the window is to stand on the edge of the tub. I am a fanatic about having open windows! Other family members close them.

I assume the frequent standing on the tub. The flexibility of the fiberglass tub. Plus just the weight of a tub full of water, is causing the grout around the tub to crack, come loose, fall out.

Should just removing the grout around the tub and replacing it with caulk be a good solution?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-20, 03:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Any where the tile changes or meets another direction it should be caulked, not grouted. Grout where the tile meets the tub or a corner is destined to fail.

izzie voted this post useful.
Old 01-17-20, 03:54 PM
That sounds good. So no problem with me removing the existing grout and replacing it with caulk.

I ASSUMED I could...but I am not the smartest DIYer. When I looked at the tub I suddenly had my doubts.

Okay, now best how to caulk and have it not look like a child did it instructions or video. Unless I can talk my brother into doing it .

Old 01-17-20, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Many like to use tape to get a neater looking job. I've never used tape but I do have more caulking experience than most.

izzie voted this post useful.
Old 01-17-20, 04:10 PM
Yes, I watched one YouTube video where tape was used....probably a good idea if I end up doing it!

Old 01-17-20, 04:52 PM
Received 169 Votes on 156 Posts
So depends on what grout you are referring to,

Caulk is only acceptable in the corners of different planes not on the walls/floors themself.

BTW, if the tub is flexing that indicates that a mortar base was not installed under the tub so your cracking grout will continue, stay off the tub!