Need with sink plumbing and garbage disposal install

Old 01-24-20, 05:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with sink plumbing and garbage disposal install

Just did my countertops and had new double sink installed. The new sink drains are not centered as before, but offset. The installers took out the old one before I could take a picture of setup. The old setup had the garbage disposal installed on the left side. With the plumbing that is in place now I assume I should mount the disposal on the right and the outlet of the disposal should point down and fit into the opening on the pipe that points up. The horizontal inlet that's on the pipe that's connected to the wall should connect to the pipe that is laying on the ground (on the left side) and the other end of that pipe will connect to the sink strainer. The dishwasher pipe will hook up to the inlet on the garbage disposal. Is this correct? I've seen some setups where the garbage disposal is connected on the side inlet and the other drain connected on the top portion. Any difference here between these setups?

I visited my local Home Depot to get some fittings to fix up the plumbing and the guy working in the plumbing department showed me a "Garbage Disposal Installation Kit" (picture attached). He informed me this had all the pieces I needed to install my garbage disposal and sink drain and dishwasher air gap. I just need to clear out the old tubes/pipes that was coming from the wall and start fresh. The old pipes that I had there were ABS, but this package is all white pipes (PP material). Is this a good route to go to start fresh and change the whole pipe types or should I just use the exsisting pipes and see if any extra connections are needed and purchase those and stay with the ABS material.

So I started to install the garbage disposal on the right side of sink and it looks like the outlet from garbage disposal is a big longer than the top of the inlet of the pipe that is there. This sink is about 3 inches deeper than my last sink (plus the disposal was on the left side). Also just eyeballing the other piece of tube that goes from drain to the side of the inlet it too seems to rather longer and might hit the top of the tube going towards the wall. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Should I shorten the tube that is coming from the disposable a bit?

Attached Images         

Last edited by joemann; 01-24-20 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-24-20, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Wow. You probably used up your picture size allotment in just one post!

In short, no.

You should do it similar to this... except your final attachment will be horizontal, not vertical.

Old 01-24-20, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
That disposal is probably not the best choice. a simple badger 5 would gain you some height,,,

Try a straight tailpiece out the disposal. The trap and tee go on other side.

Youll have to cut that ell off the arm and after you measure correctly get a 45 on it and a trap adapter to line up to trap..

Old 01-24-20, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
...and the disposal can be on either side. I think most people prefer to wash on the left and dry on the right, so the disposal could be on the left if that's the way you prefer to do it.

Old 01-24-20, 09:42 PM
J
Originally Posted by [color=#333333
lawrosa[/color]]That disposal is probably not the best choice. a simple badger 5 would gain you some height,,,

Try a straight tailpiece out the disposal. The trap and tee go on other side.

Youll have to cut that ell off the arm and after you measure correctly get a 45 on it and a trap adapter to line up to trap..
I had an old Badger 1 and that one is pretty much similar specs as the new disposable. The inlet is pretty much the same place so not gaining any height with new Badger 5 (assuming they are similarly made). Even if I try a straight piece from disposable to Tee it still would be higher then the side inlet of the Tee? What about going the rought of new fittings like I got from Home Depot with that install kit? Take out all the previous one and start fresh from disposable side and work my way to wall drain? Will that work or PVC materail will be fine compared to ABS?

Old 01-26-20, 06:19 PM
J
So I started to connect my disposable the way it is mentioned here using tubes from the install kit. I know I have to cut the tailpiece about 4" so that outlet from disposable will reach the Tee. Also I need to cut the horizontal piece a bit to fit into the tee. So after doing that I would move the right side of drain up 4". However, it will still be sitting lower than P trap and will be short as well. Do I need to get an extension tube to extend the horizontal part of the P-trap and also trim off some of the Tee as well so that they can fit.

Pic of setup

Old 01-27-20, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Cut the tail piece on the right sink to raise the tee to proper height for disposal drain.

Then cut the bottom of tee so trap is at correct height

Looks like you have plenty of room.

But since you put the disposal left side you will need to cut that 45 off the main drain and extend it to reach. The disposal on the right side you may of not needed to modify the main drain...

Old 01-30-20, 01:20 AM
J
Originally Posted by lawrosa
Cut the tail piece on the right sink to raise the tee to proper height for disposal drain.

Then cut the bottom of tee so trap is at correct height

Looks like you have plenty of room.

But since you put the disposal left side you will need to cut that 45 off the main drain and extend it to reach. The disposal on the right side you may of not needed to modify the main drain...
Can I just add an extension piece on the 45 and then attach the horizontal piece/P-trap part to it to extend to reach the drain instead of cutting off the 45 at the main drain? I don't really want to mess with the main drain if I don't have to.

If I put the disposal on the right I don't think the P-trap will reach the left drain and be directly under the drain even when I swing it clockwise? (I assume that is what you mean't by "The disposal on the right side you may of not needed to modify the main drain..."). I guess I can try it that way to see if it will indeed reach or not.

Old 01-30-20, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know a whole lot about plumbing codes, but personally I think it's just a good practice to have your sj trap go right into a slip joint x hub dwv adapter... Which might be why it was suggested to extend your drain. Not a big deal... you just get the parts, primer and glue and extend it.

You certainly "can" use another sj tailpiece after the trap to extend it... I just don't think it's best practice to have that much small pipe... it could easily lead to a slow running drain that is starved for air.

Best advice is to transition to larger pipe as soon as you reasonably can.

Old 01-31-20, 05:14 PM
J
Does the tube that goes from disposable inlet to the T have to be at a slight down incline and not perfectly horizontal?

Old 01-31-20, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, a slight downward slope.

Old 02-04-20, 05:18 PM
J
Originally Posted by XSleeper
I don't know a whole lot about plumbing codes, but personally I think it's just a good practice to have your sj trap go right into a slip joint x hub dwv adapter... Which might be why it was suggested to extend your drain. Not a big deal... you just get the parts, primer and glue and extend it.

You certainly "can" use another sj tailpiece after the trap to extend it... I just don't think it's best practice to have that much small pipe... it could easily lead to a slow running drain that is starved for air.

Best advice is to transition to larger pipe as soon as you reasonably can.
So I finally got around to trying to put on the extension and based on the angle it is coming from the wall it still will not reach and align under my drain on the right side? Even cutting it down I don't will help here. What should I do next since this way it does not seem to work? Can I put another 45 degree on the exsisting 45 degree? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am attaching pics of how it looks now with the extension.

Pic1
Pic2

Old 02-04-20, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
you will need to cut that 45 off the main drain and extend it to reach.
it's just a good practice to have your sj trap go right into a slip joint x hub dwv adapter... Which might be why it was suggested to extend your drain. Not a big deal... you just get the parts, primer and glue and extend it.
well that's why (several times) we were suggesting you extend it. Not with slip joint extensions... with solid 1 1/2" pipe, glue and fittings. If you glue up the parts so that at your rough in comes out in the right spot you wont need a bunch of slip joint pieces and you will likely also have more room under the sink as a result.

Old 02-04-20, 11:56 PM
J
So if I want to keep the wall pipe intact can I then add my extension to the 45 that is there, cut it, add another 45, add the horizontal arm/p trap and adjust it so that it will line up to drain. Of course I will need to cut extension to size so it can line up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: