Dishwasher Air gap drain line sags

Old 02-22-20, 05:36 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher Air gap drain line sags

Howdy,
Go a question and it may not be what you think it is. This is not about the Dish Washer loop, or DW drain line.
This is about the drain line from the air gap down into the Garbage disposal.
I am concerned my drain line is a tad to long? It goes straight down wraps back up the side and raises back up about 10" into the Disposal.
So it is possible water might be able to collect in this line as it is not a straight down slide.
I experienced some water flowing out of the Air gap and looking to figure out the issue.
This is 2 years old, no food goes into the DW, taken care of very well. Would it matter if the Drain line from the Air Gap sags a bit prior to entering into the GDisposal.
I have looked down the Air Gap counter top side. Looking down I see water in the small inner tube, and the rest of the cavity is super clean and dry.
The DW drain hose has no kinks, it comes out the bottom of the cabinet than straight up to the Air Gap.
The DW never has water or food in it after a cycle. But our Air Gap is showing signs of overflow.
Thanks for reading

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-20, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
The line from the air gap to the disposer should not have a loop in it like that.
It looks like it should be easy to cut shorter.

Name:  ag.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  10.2 KB

Cleaning an air gap video

Old 02-23-20, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
You can do away with the air gap as far as I know what code is now...

Old 02-23-20, 02:08 PM
D
Again this post in not questioning if I should remove the air gap. It is already there. The question is, would a small about of slack/loop here in the Air Gap drainage, pointed out in the image, could that be the issue the air gap is spilling out water.
Or is it very unlikely and I should focus my energy into looking for a blockage or something else? Again, all brand new hoses, new kitch not sending much food or debris down the drain.
Curious how much pressure is pushing the water down into the disposal. With an air gap seems like there would be minmal pressure?
I suppose I could pour tons of water down the air gap and see what happens?

Old 02-23-20, 02:10 PM
Group Moderator
Make sure you run the disposer before washing dishes.
A clogged hopper will cause the dishwasher water to back up.
I would remove that loop under the sink too. That loop can clog with crap.

Old 02-23-20, 02:20 PM
D
The Hopper rarely has food in it, 90% of the waste is strained out. Disposal is always run prior to running dishes.
The dishes that are loaded in are usually very clean, never with food still on them.
This is what makes me wonder if this is all because the drain line from the air gap is too long? Is that even a possibility?

Old 02-23-20, 02:24 PM
Group Moderator
It's not too long. Well yes.... it's too long and causing a loop. That loop is retaining water and crap. The water should empty out of the air gap.
If that loop is partially clogged.... it will slow down the flow of drain water to the point where the air gap will spit water out.

Old 02-25-20, 11:09 AM
A
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
If the line the rest of the way to the disposer tap or the sink drain is too long or too skinny (or has excessive arteriosclerosis) then you can get water coming out of the air gap.

In some cities the code allows the sink or disposer to be the air gap so no Studer valve or other device is needed further upstream in the dishwasher drain line. (The sink acts as the overflow space and pressure relief.)

The drain line downstream from the air gap does not need to be perfectly sloped but the example shown shows too much droop.

Old 02-25-20, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
There should be no water remaining in the line from the air gap to the disposer. Having that full of water presents a blockage when the dishwasher starts to drain. That can cause the air gap to discharge water.