Weak/ slow flush on both toilets

Old 03-26-20, 03:40 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Weak/ slow flush on both toilets

Hello. I'm dealing with a weak/slow flush issue on both my toilets. It started a week or so ago with the upstairs toilet, which is older. Today the downstairs toilet (which is less a year old) also started acting up. Using a plunger hasn't helped.

My research shows that it might be a clogged line. Should I get a snake? Drain opener product/chemical? Call a plumber? Something else?

Thanks much!
Jeff

Old 03-27-20, 04:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Get a bucket and put a couple gallons of water in it. Quickly dump all the water into the center of the toilet bowl. If you get a good flush then the problem is in the toilet. If you still have a weak or slow flush then it's possible the drain line is clogged or partially clogged. Whether or not you get a drain auger/snake or hire a professional is up to you.

jnathan voted this post useful.
Old 03-27-20, 04:59 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Whether or not you get a drain auger/snake or hire a professional is up to you.
Notice he said snake or auger. NO CHEMICAL DRAIN CLEANERS!

Old 03-27-20, 05:11 AM
J
Thanks for replies! Considering the last reply, I am a bit chagrined to admit that an hour or so before I made this post, I used a small amount of professional strength chemical drain cleaner that the previous home owner left in the garage many years ago. Late this evening both toilets were flushing like normal. I am going to stay positive and hope I didn't cause more harm than good...

Old 03-27-20, 05:36 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Probably not!

I'm about to do rant at this point. Skip if you can't be bothered.

I'm not a fan of chemical drain cleaners. Typically they only partially work. And here's why. Consider a bowl, sink or toilet filled with standing water. Apply the drain cleaner (which by the way are water soluble). If and when it gets to the clog, it most likely weakened to the point it won't work or barely works. Now take a sink, toilet or drain that is partially clogged. Pour the drain cleaner down and where does it go? Past the clog and does little or nothing. The clog most likely will come back.

The other bigger problem is the extreme amount of water table pollution that drain cleaner add to the environment. Consider this. I work at a small home improvement chain that consist of about 40 stores. We have about a 10 foot isle of drain cleaners. 5 shelves each. We fill these shelves about 4 to 5 times a year. Multiply that by 40. That's just us. Now consider the amount of drain cleaner (actual poison) being dumped in our water system by all the stores in the nation that sell drain cleaners. You're talking millions of gallons.

I'm not a tree huger by any means, but this is the one item that really bugs me. Fifteen years ago, I would never consider buying bottle water. But now it's a normal routine. And only because of our extreme polluting and poisoning of our water.

Rant over. You may now return to you regularly scheduled programming.

Old 03-27-20, 07:28 AM
J
Not bothered at all and appreciate your reasoning. I'm a bit of a tree huger and agree that chemicals in general should be avoided and I wouldn't want to make continued chemical usage a long-term solution. Also I've heard strong chemicals can potentially damage pipes...which is especially a concern with an older home.

AND I'm already thinking this was a temporary fix as toilet flushing is still somewhat weak and I think its only a matter of time before I need to try a snake or plumber.

Thanks again!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-27-20, 08:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I'm against using chemical drain cleaners for safety reasons. Yes, the strong acids or bases can harm some pipes. But, if you use them in a clogged pipe that chemical remains there. If you then try to snake or auger the line you need to suit up and protect yourself because you could be splashed with the chemicals. Then of course you have to thoroughly rinse off your snake/auger when done to remove the acid/base.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: