elongated seats: universal fit?

Old 05-22-20, 01:42 PM
L
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
elongated seats: universal fit?

installed a champion 4 american standard and hate the seat. it digs into your legs and appears to be sloped and not flat. very bizarre ..will any elongated seat fit or will any american standard seat fit. i need to find a flat one. this is very different from my 60 year old super comfy banana seat lol

are toilet seats returnable to the big box stores?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-20, 03:11 PM
Received 243 Votes on 230 Posts
super comfy banana seat
I dont want to even go there!

Yes the seats are generic in overall shape (standard or elongated) but they may have unique contours by brand!

Old 05-22-20, 06:22 PM
Received 63 Votes on 54 Posts
appears to be sloped and not flat.
That's probably to keep you from falling off!

are toilet seats returnable to the big box stores?
If the seat came with the toilet I seriously doubt it would be returnable. If you bought it separately Lowes might take it back if you complain enough, but I really don't think the other box stores would. Regardless, it cannot be sold again. No way would I ever buy a returned toilet seat. In fact, I don't think I could even bring myself to ask them to take one back after it had been used.

Old 05-22-20, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 762 Votes on 715 Posts
Lowes and Home Depot pride themselves on "your satisfaction is guaranteed."
The returned seat will be credited to the store by the manufacturer as defective stock.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-22-20, 07:24 PM
L
im talking about if i buy a new seat and it sucks is it returnable. the toilet is 5 years old and i dont have my receipt so i know i cannot return that lol. the height is the same as my half bath toilet and thats fine but its a different brand but maybe id get lucky and i can switch them. ill try tomorrow. i just knew nothing would be as comfy as my 1952 banana seat. a curved bowl is something i never even heard about before.

found a review on amazon about the problem where it literally does cut into your legs:
Unfortunately, I'm less than thrilled with it because the seat itself is kind of concave (bowl-shaped), and is pretty uncomfortable to sit on.

Old 05-22-20, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 762 Votes on 715 Posts
is pretty uncomfortable to sit on.
That's part of our new program to get people off the bowl quicker.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-23-20, 02:59 AM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
I routinely asked customers as they buy their toilet seat if they are sure whether it's round or elongated. It's amazing the number of people who are totally ignorant of the difference. However, in their defense it's sometimes confusing. Some of the round seats can give an appearance of being elongated. If I'm at the cash register I'll ask the question and if they are not sure I'll tell them before unwrapping the seat, put it next to the toilet. They will know immediately whether it's round or elongated. If it's unopened we can resell it. If opened we must return it to distributor. But, yes we will take back seats old or new if proven they were bought from us.

And I understand that commercial and industrial seats are being made on purpose to be uncomfortable, just so employees don't linger too long in the john. I suppose that's better than not having toilet paper on hand.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-23-20, 03:13 PM
L
so i guess maybe they arent universal between brands. i switched the aquasource and american standard and when i put the aquasource one on the newly installed american standard, the seat will not stay up unless 'placed gingerly' in place. i guess the tank is too far forward on the a/s unit even when the seat is placed as far forward as possible.

but i really dont feel like shopping for a seat on a holiday weekend. would be a nightmare. and i dont get a lot of company and they can deal with the concave seat (that admittedly is much better made at least).

crazy thought. no reason why i cannot just use a drill bit and shave the screw hole to make it a bit bigger, right? i probably just need a few millimeters. and as long as theres enough plastic fror the screw to bite down on id be ok

Last edited by luckydriver; 05-23-20 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-24-20, 06:13 AM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
Never heard of the tank preventing the seat from staying up. But I've heard people complain about how some seats might just hang over the porcelain and some you might see just the very edge of the porcelain.

Old 05-24-20, 07:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 211 Votes on 188 Posts
Sometimes there is a little wiggle room when the tank is installed, if it's too far forward the lid won't want to stay up. Our commode was that way until I remodeled our bath rm and set the commode a tad further from the wall.