leaking shower not fixed

Old 06-01-20, 05:44 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leaking shower not fixed

Hi-

I am having a problem with my master bedroom shower faucet leaking. This has been ongoing for a while now, at first because I couldn't afford to fix it and didn't think I could fix it myself. Then a few months ago I had a plumber out and he fixed it, or I thought he did. This is a shower neither I nor my daughter use. Anyway, it stopped dripping and I was happy.

I decided about 2 weeks ago to switch use to that bathroom so I could redo the caulking in the upstairs shower. I had to use both hands to turn the water on. That's how he fixed it apparently, and yes, I should have checked it right away I know! So the drip is still there and getting worse by the day. I don't want to call this guy back.

Is this something I can fix myself, or do you think maybe he didn't fix it because it wasn't fixable and a much more expensive repair than I could afford? I know I would need to buy some tools. I do know where to turn the house water off.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

06-03-20, 02:14 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 488 Votes on 449 Posts
Where specifically is it leaking? Old faucets like that are very repairable usually only requiring inexpensive parts.

Most often the valves don't close all the way and the faucet drips when in the off position. It's usually just the seat washer that needs replacing. Shut off the water to your house and open a faucet to relieve the pressure. Then remove the escutcheon for the valve that's leaking. Then you can unscrew the valve cartridge which has the seat washer on the far end.

Old 06-01-20, 06:13 AM
M
Received 136 Votes on 126 Posts
Need more info!!!
make model of the valve etc.
Or if you do not have that at least some pictures.

Cannot say why he did not fix it, could be he is just a lazy rip off SOB!!!!

tiredmom voted this post useful.
Old 06-01-20, 06:28 AM
T
Hi manden-

I don't know the kind of valve but I will take some pictures when I get some batteries for my camera. I will post them tomorrow for sure. Thank you for the reply!

Old 06-03-20, 12:20 PM
T
Hi-

I finally managed to get a picture of my faucet knobs. I hope this is enough to tell what kind of valves they are and if I can do the repair myself. I feel like it's the cold water valve that may be faulty because when I tightened it I noticed a change in the rate of drip. Also, when I tightened it, it dripped worse and lessened when I loosened the knob a tiny bit. Confusing!
Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  61.8 KB

Old 06-03-20, 02:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Where specifically is it leaking? Old faucets like that are very repairable usually only requiring inexpensive parts.

Most often the valves don't close all the way and the faucet drips when in the off position. It's usually just the seat washer that needs replacing. Shut off the water to your house and open a faucet to relieve the pressure. Then remove the escutcheon for the valve that's leaking. Then you can unscrew the valve cartridge which has the seat washer on the far end.

cwbuff, tiredmom voted this post useful.
Old 06-03-20, 02:34 PM
T
Hi Pilot Dane,

Thanks for the reply and also for the diagram. It's leaking from the spout.

I am going to work on this tomorrow- remove the escutcheon and attempt to do the rest. Will I need to buy the special valve wrench to properly loosen the valve?

I really appreciate the help!

Old 06-03-20, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 791 Posts
Yes..... you'll need to buy faucet wrenches. Pretty inexpensive. $10 from home depot.
Plumbers faucet wrench set

Old 06-04-20, 06:34 AM
T
Thanks PJmax! I will be sure to buy that.

Old 06-08-20, 12:43 PM
T
Hi- I'm back! I wasn't able to work on this over the weekend but I'm trying now. I turned off the water at the main water shut off that comes into the house but water is still dripping out of the spout 5 minutes later. I hope it stops eventually. The main problem I'm having is that I cant loosen the thing. I bought the special wrench and I have a good long screwdriver for leverage, but I can't get it to budge. Maybe this is why the plumber didn't fix it?

I'm showing a picture of the valve and there are a couple of things it looks like one could loosen. I tried to loosen A but then I thought maybe I'm suppose to do B? Anyway, if it is A, I will try tapping gently with a hammer and seeing if this will help.. Is this a bad idea? Any other solutions?

Name:  won't loosen.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  72.2 KB

Well, I just went to check to see if the water stopped and it is not just dripping, but a steady stream. I turned on the faucet in the bathroom and no water came out of there. I don't know what's going on.

Last edited by tiredmom; 06-08-20 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-08-20, 01:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
After you shut off the water main open a faucet somewhere in the house to relieve the pressure. After the water stops flowing close the faucet then you can start working on your shower. Even after doing this some water may come out of a faucet or the faucet you're working on. You've relieved the water pressure but the pipes are still full. So, water may drip or slowly pour out but it won't spray under pressure.

A: This is for the entire valve cartridge and what you need to loosen. If the hex is sticking out past the tile then you can use a pipe, Crescent or other wrench that might give you better leverage. If using a tubular style wrench you might have to loosen B so it's hex lines up with A so the wrench will slide over B and get A.

B: This is the packing nut. You would tighten this if your leak was coming out the stem around the knob.

Old 06-08-20, 02:18 PM
T
Thanks Pilot Dane- I tried again to loosen it but no luck. It's always the loosening stuff that's the problem for me! I will check back later in case anybody has any ideas, but I'm thinking I will need to call out another plumber, or maybe wait till one of my brothers show up in town.

I really appreciate all the advise!

Old 06-08-20, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 791 Posts
It will break loose but it may be very tight. It's been on many years.

Old 06-08-20, 06:30 PM
T
Thanks PJmax, but do you think it's possible I will break the pipe? My daughter said that the screwdriver was bending I was pushing so hard. Maybe I will give it another try in the morning.

Old 06-09-20, 05:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
I have had some so tight that it rounded out the flats in those cheap tubular plumbers wrenches. I would start with something other than a screw driver. Hopefully you can find a piece of steel longer to give you more leverage. Otherwise, is the hex sticking out beyond the face of the tile so you can get a regular wrench on it?

Old 06-09-20, 05:27 AM
M
Received 136 Votes on 126 Posts
I would try some Liquid Wrench on it.
Let it soak in for a couple hours or overnight.

Old 06-12-20, 04:21 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, Make sure you open the valve you want to remove . If the valve is closed it makes it harder to remove.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 06-24-20, 03:41 PM
T
Thumbs up

Hi I'm back to just say thanks to everybody that took the time to reply to my dilemma. It took me a while to get up the courage to give it one more good go. I bought the Liquid Wrench and I also bought a good long wrench since the part of the thing that was stuck (bonnet?) did protrude from the wall by about 1/2 inch. I let the Liquid Wrench soak on the metal for about 3 hours and armed with my good wrench I was able to get it loose. I can't tell you how happy I was!

I saw that the washer was worn and went to buy a replacement, but they didn't sell that by itself. So I bought a whole new stem, which is good because it turns out that the part that was bad was the seat and that came with what I bought. Fortunately, I had already bought the tool that loosens the seat a few weeks ago.

So now I no longer have a leaky shower faucet- You guys are the best!

Old 06-24-20, 05:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
I am glad you got it fixed. Even here in rural NC a service call is at least $75 so I'm sure you saved some money and you've got some tools and knowledge for the next time.