Removal of core of older Danze single handle faucet

Old 07-13-20, 08:15 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removal of core of older Danze single handle faucet

I just got an older Danze single post faucet to replace the unusable faucets in my basement laundry type tub. It all looked fine, so I cut the pipes to the 45+ year old set that were there, and cut the whole thing out as it was so covered in rust.
I then installed nice new compression 1/2" to 3/8" adaptors so that I could just connect the two flexes to this "new unit" and be done and happy.
However, after installing the "new" Danze and turning the water back on, I noticed water leaking and running down the flexes. I took everything apart again (it's pretty inaccessible behind the tub and found that the culprit is the copper pipe coming out of the core of the column had obviously been damaged during the prior installation/removal/installation process. This is a good sturdy unit, the part here, (as shown without hose, handle or cartridge) weighs just shy of 5lbs.

So my question is, how do I remove the core so that I can change the 1/4 copper pipes? It looks like I will need to unsolder the brass fittings for the hot, cold and sprayer flex attachments and remove from the top somehow, but I don't want to start blindly trying stuff with brute force. Though if I can remove the plastic conduit for the sprayer hose, it looks like I could get away with just removing the hot and cold ends.

So, I just want to disassemble unsolder the existing hot and cold lines (one is broken, the other has a bad kink in it) and replace with new 1/4" copper. How do I get to the "core" of it?

Thanks in advance and be well.

Danze faucet (unknown model) without handle or sprayer

Split 1/4" copper tube.

Top view, handle and cartridge removed.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

07-13-20, 09:32 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 522 Votes on 479 Posts
That pipe is not part of the replaceable core or cartridge. It is part of the faucet body. A break there ususally means a new faucet.

Old 07-13-20, 09:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 522 Votes on 479 Posts
That pipe is not part of the replaceable core or cartridge. It is part of the faucet body. A break there ususally means a new faucet.

CasualJoe, Herring voted this post useful.
Old 07-13-20, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 906 Votes on 846 Posts
It looks like someone tried to previously repair that line as it doesn't look factory.
It certainly doesn't match the other side.

Old 07-13-20, 10:18 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PJMax - I've seen this on other faucets. The lengths are staggered so that the fittings can fit through the hole in the counter, that's my interpretation.
Both original. One I had cleaned off the oxidation with CLR to have a better look at the crack.

I took the whole thing apart and decided that to fix it would be more hassle than it's worth. So I just cut off and crimped the hot water side, put a compression cap on the hot water source and I'll just use the cold water. If another tap comes along, I'll make the change at that point.