Kitchen sink faucet removal

Old 07-29-20, 07:25 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink faucet removal

The faucet is leaking where it swivels, the tape is there for now just so it won't spray all over the place. There's not a washer in there that can be replaced, right?

The other situation is probably common. I doubt I'll be able to move the plastic nuts. I'm thinking maybe drill into them to break them or chisel them off? I'm thinking to spray the water connections with WD-40 or PB Blaster before trying to get those off.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-20, 07:35 AM
J
Received 70 Votes on 65 Posts
There should be an o ring that can replaced.
Remove that tape so we can see what you have better, it may be able to be taken apart from the top side.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 07-29-20, 07:49 AM
Received 74 Votes on 65 Posts
I doubt I'll be able to move the plastic nuts.
I'm thinking to spray the water connections with WD-40 or PB Blaster
I don't know why the plastic nuts shouldn't come off. Looks to me like the issue might be getting to them, but they should come loose. I doubt penetrating oil would help, but you could try it. By the way, WD-40 is not a penetrating oil.

Old 07-29-20, 07:50 AM
B
Received 75 Votes on 66 Posts
Can't tell if the faucet stem is a removal assembly because of the tape. To remove the plastic nuts, get a piece of plastic with an ID at least the diameter of the hub on the plastic nut (common to the 4 tabs on the plastic nut). On the top of the plastic pipe make 2 cuts 180 degrees apart (width greater than the thickness of tabs). After shutting off water, remove water lines to faucet and use pipe to remove plastic nuts by engaging the 4 tabs..

q0987 voted this post useful.
Old 07-29-20, 10:34 AM
S
I'll get a photo later without the tape. I did see that method with plastic pipe cut accordingly to fit the nut, one also had holes to put a screwdriver through the pipe for leverage. Don't have any pipe on hand at the moment but will keep that in mind. For about a month the faucet has been making a noise like there's air in the system - like after a power failure or I have the water shut off, I have a well. Must have been related to the O-ring or whatever is bad.

Maybe the plastic nuts won't be as bad as I'm assuming. Just making the assumption based on my past luck. Still need to buy a replacement. For now may just try loosening the plastic nuts a bit, to see if they'll move at all. Ok re: WD-40.

Looked online at faucets - jeez, some $400 + ! I'd like to stay $50 or below, nothing fancy.

Update: Placed a screwdriver on the plastic tabs, hit moderately with a hammer and they moved a bit. One I was able to move by hand, the other I couldn't but will leave it as is for now.

Last edited by stevek66; 07-29-20 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-29-20, 12:43 PM
S
I have the manual. I wonder if it's just the O-Rings, or the diverter assembly, and if they're available locally. Maybe I should still consider replacing the whole thing.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Faucet - Peerless.pdf (497.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-29-20, 03:02 PM
R
, .If making the suggested plastic pipe tool is too much trouble, what you actually need is a faucet wrench. For less than $10 this will reach up and grab a next nut or the plastic nuts you have and give them a twist.This a a lifetime tool you should have.

Old 07-29-20, 07:32 PM
S
I was thinking about that wrench and have one. After you posted this I put it aside. Previously I said I'd post a photo of the faucet with the tape removed. It's leaking right at the seam.

Here's the wrench I believe you were referring to.

Old 07-31-20, 02:03 PM
S
Until I can replace it, once again JB Weld SteelStik worked well as a temporary repair.

Old 07-31-20, 02:56 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, I have an American Standard that looks like that. I believe you can remove the spout from the top.
if you have one of those rubber pads used to get tops off of jars, wrap it around the part that holds the spout and the base together and using channel locks GENTLY turn it off. You can Clean And Replace the O rings from the top.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 07-31-20, 07:49 PM
S
Hello and thanks. If I didn't put the JB Weld on I could probably do that. They don't make things like they used to - I think this faucet is only about 10 years old.