How to remove this rusted out handle base/nut?

Old 08-04-20, 05:36 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to remove this rusted out handle base/nut?

Hey guys,

I have a 10yr old Price Pfister Pasadena faucet where the right-hand side handle has *completely* rusted at the base. The threads to remove the handle alone were rusted out and I had to use a hammer and screwdriver to get that off to begin with. But now the base plate and gasket seems stuck to the counter and the retaining nut/square plate on the underside it seems are stuck in the same fashion.

I had Price Pfister send out their special installation/removal tool that fits over the cartridge and I can't turn the darned nut as it seems stuck or bonded to whatever is holding it in place.

I've tried the following:
1) WD-40 and lots of it
2) Liquid Wrench
3) Some heat from a heat gun

Nothing seems to be loosening it up. The plastic tool has slipped a couple times while trying to remove the nut underneath and I'm afraid I'll crack, break or strip the tool as it's made of plastic - I've already scraped plastic off the inside of the tool while trying to remove the nut since it's so stuck in place.

Any ideas?

Underneath the sink:

Above the sink:

Old 08-04-20, 05:40 PM
J
Just saw another thread about a similar issue with a rusted nut. I just soaked the top retaining nut with liquid wrench again and will let it soak for at least 4 hours before attempting to remove again. I also sprayed the underside with some liquid wrench silicone spray (not sure if this was necessary or if it'll help at all) but plan to let it all sit and soak. Hopefully it loosens up.

Old 08-04-20, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
You should be using a basin wrench on the nut underneath.

Old 08-04-20, 06:10 PM
J
I tried a basin wrench earlier on and the thickness of the nut wasn't enough for me to get a good grip on it with the basin wrench. Unless I just need to try harder to get it at the right/perfect angle/placement perhaps?

EDIT: I checked my basin wrench again and I think it's just too small of a diameter for that nut. I guess I need a larger basin wrench - my concern is clearance since the nut is really close to the sink basin underside

Old 08-04-20, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
A basin wrench will work on there but not easily due to the thin nut.
The faucet is brass and the nut should be made of a metal that wont rust.

Old 08-04-20, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
I know what you mean. You often need to use a 2nd hand to keep the basin wrench tight to the bottom of the sink. It's a great way to remove skin from your knuckles. A 6" long piece of pipe that would fit over your faucet threads pressed up against the side of the basin wrench would help hold it tight to the sink while you try to turn it.

A very stubby crescent wrench would be my 2nd resort.

Old 08-04-20, 06:29 PM
J
Thanks. I'm about to pick this up - https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools.../dp/B001PNOEX0

The other handles don't have this issue but I was bad about maintaining the sinks/faucets/handles all these years and am now paying for it

Old 08-04-20, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
As a last resort...... use a Dremel grinder to grind thru the nut and peel it off. Must use safety goggles.

There is also another way but you need to be real careful. Get something to hold the nut.... like X's stubby crescent wrench and turn the faucet from the top. It should be in a round hole and will spin. You need to make sure you don't scratch the sink.

Old 08-04-20, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
I've got a stubby pipe wrench in my plumbing box that would be 3rd on the list.

Old 08-04-20, 06:39 PM
J
Unfortunately, I don't have all these tools And I'm pretty sure I had at least one Dremel metal cut-off wheel that of course I can't locate at the moment

Old 08-04-20, 09:23 PM
J
Aghhh, I gave in - no time to keep putting all this effort in with little gain (and having to order more stuff just to fix one thing), so I just cleaned up the rusted part as much as I could, swapped out the plastic internals of the cartridge, and screwed new handles on both sides... I also put a ring of clear silicone caulk around the bases. I'm debating opening the rusted out part up again and re-spraying with Liquid Wrench lubricant one more time.

We're selling our place soon so just getting everything back to working and presentable condition. Not sure if something like this will turn up in an inspection though, which is the part that concerns me more (or how fast the rust might 'spread'). On the other hand, these vanities are so ancient that whoever buys this place *likely* will want to rip everything out and replace completely, unless they intend to rent it out initially and don't care. But anyone moving in, in our area, would more than likely gut a lot of what we have an replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: