AAV usage

Old 08-07-20, 12:26 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AAV usage

So im remodeling my bathroom and making it bigger. Doing this will mean removal of a wall that hides the 3" cast iron vent to the roof. Since the wall is no more and the toilet is moving i need to demo the vent line and was thinking of just replacing it with an AAV. I didn't see anything in the local building code saying i couldn't but i wanted to get thoughts on this as well. Basically going to cap the vent outside to prevent water coming in and cut and cap the line inside (until i can get the vent removed from the roof and redone). Remove the line into the basement and run new pipe from the new toilet location to the current cast iron line in the basement, hooking up with a wye fitting and running about 3' pipe up from cast iron and place the AAV on top of that. Any thoughts is appreciated.

Old 08-07-20, 01:32 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
NO!!! You cannot replace a 3" vent with a AAV! A 3" vent is very likely serving multiple fixtures and/or a toilet which cannot be served by an AAV. You need a real vent.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 08-08-20, 05:08 AM
B
It is serving a toilet and sink currently and would only be servicing the same in the remodel. I was looking at using a Sure-Vent 3"x4" AAV with a 500 DFU rating. I thought that would be sufficient for this application?

Old 08-08-20, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Sufficient and allowed are two different things.

If you are not sure what to do.... check with local plumbing authorities
They will tell you if it is legal to install an AAV on a toilet in the region where you live.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 08-08-20, 01:28 PM
B
Sufficient and allowed are two different things.
Correct. I did find in the code that the way i was thinking wouldn't be to code as the AAV would be more than 20" below the flood level of a fixture (sink in this case). With that being said the code does allow the use of AAV's in which i would have to run a vent line in the new wall above the sink.

This would be so much easier if horizontal vents could be a thing, but everything i look up says thats a bigger mistake than anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: