Installing laminate flooring under toilet

Old 08-09-20, 06:08 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Installing laminate flooring under toilet

I am going to be pulling up some laminate flooring in the bathroom and replacing it with LVP and had a question before I pull up the toilet. This is in the basement on slab so I would imagine when the house was built in the 60's, the toilet flange would probably be flush with the concrete. If that is the case, and you were to install laminate or LVP, would you need to put some soft of extender, or would a wax ring seal that 1/4 inch gap? I just want to check to make sure it was done right when the laminate was installed before I bought the house and to know what I should find when I pull up the toilet to replace the flooring.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-20, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
It's possible you might find an extender ring, but I doubt it. My guess is that if it worked with the laminate it will work with the LVP too.

Old 08-09-20, 06:19 PM
D
So typically would a wax ring fill that 1/4" gap ok? Do I need to get a jumbo one, or will a regular one work? I guess you're right, it has worked this long so I should be fine doing it however it was done before. Just need to know what type of wax ring to get. Thanks.

Old 08-09-20, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
A standard wax ring should work fine.

Old 08-09-20, 06:23 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
No way would I be using laminate on a basement slab!
LVP should not be an issue and no extender needed.

Old 08-09-20, 06:26 PM
D
LOL I didn't like the laminate either. I already have much of the LVP down in the rest of the basement and it is so much nicer. Plus, if the sink overflows down there or something, I don't have to worry about it like with the laminate.

Old 08-11-20, 09:02 AM
D
Ok, I gotta ask this because I tend to make things more difficult than they need to be! It has been a while but I have installed a couple of toilets before. When looking to get a wax ring, I see all kinds of different ones like this Danco Perfect Seal that looks like a good idea since the bolts go through it. Anyways, just thought I'd ask you experts if there is a better seal out there or is a standard old fashioned wax ring still the best?

Old 08-11-20, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Wax seals either work or they don't. If a standard wax seal works I don't see how anything else could be "better". It's all marketing.

If a standard wax seal doesn't work it's usually either installation error or the flange height was wrong- either too high, or too low and needed an extension.

Old 08-11-20, 11:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
I have tried every brand of "improved" wax seal in my rental houses... and have gone back to traditional wax rings.

Old 08-25-20, 10:02 AM
D
I pulled this up the other day and the flange was actually even with the old laminate. There was no extender ring but it was up about 1/4" from the slab. That worked out well I always get nervous bolting the toilets down because I always have the urge to give it one more turn but it seems pretty solid. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-25-20, 01:45 PM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
I would suggest glueing or otherwise bonding the ends of the laminate flooring to the floo or subfloorr under the toilet. This will prevent the ends from leveraging up and down as someone walks on the floor, and spoiling the wax seal and also not require that you use extra torquing of the flange boltsthat could crack the toilet.