Tips for replacing walk in shower with a tub? Drain will need to be moved

Old 08-19-20, 12:17 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tips for replacing walk in shower with a tub? Drain will need to be moved

We want to replace this shower with a tub. The tub we were given is a little bigger than the shower, so we will need to move that wall/divider on the right hand side of the picture. The drain for the tub will also be on the other side (closer to water source), so need to figure out how to handle that. I'm just not sure where to start, and it's being left up to me to come up with a plan before we start since I'm the one who wanted a tub, so I need to figure it out soon. We're doing it all diy.
Any tips?
Yea it's messy in the shower, lovely well water that stains and whoever did the shower didn't do the silicone sealing very well.

Old 08-19-20, 02:50 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
The good thing is you are going in the right direction. Changing from a shower to tub generally doesn't pose pipe the pipe size problem like going the other way.

You will need to relocate the drain location and might have to adjust the elevation depending on your tub. It will be easier to do the plumbing if you can open up the ceiling below or go into the crawl space or basement below, but it's not required. You will also want to relocate the supply piping to the other side so it matches the drain. They don't "have to" match (drain and faucet on same end of tub) but it's really weird if you don't and having the faucet on the other end can be a head banger if actually soaking.

I hope you have a second bathroom as this will not be a quick swap, even for someone experienced. Your shower/tub will be out of commission for a bit.

Old 08-19-20, 07:12 PM
S
Thank you pilot dane. Unfortunately, no crawl space or anything beneath, but we can manage I'm sure.
Good to know this will be an achievable project. We do have a bathroom at the in laws next door, so lack of shower for a bit isn't an issue.
Another question, is there a specific part/connector to add for the tub? What we currently have is just the shower head, no piping for tub faucet. Not sure the right wording to use to search this lol. I might find it before I get a response though.

Old 08-20-20, 05:29 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Generally people get rid of tubs which have limited use for showers. All I can say is give it some thought!

Old 08-30-20, 11:39 AM
S
Marq1, I've lived in homes with only showers and homes with tubs, I need a tub. We will have it set up so there is a shower head too. I have a lot of pain in my body and use to rely on soaking in Epsom salt for pain relief. And I have young children who want baths. I hate our shower, and I hate not having a bathtub.
My MIL has a bathtub next door, but it's in their master bath through their bedroom and I'm not comfortable going over there every time I'm dealing with muscle aches to have a bath, plus it's inconvenient. We've thought about this and I'm set on having a tub.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: