Toilet Bubbles Up but Flushes

Old 09-21-20, 07:35 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Bubbles Up but Flushes

One of two toilets bubbles up but then flushes. This seems to remain fairly constant for months, but I still fear an eventual overflow. The house is a ranch and there are two toilets on the same horizontal soil pipe. The other toilet does not seem to be affected and all sink/tub drains work normally. I have tried a good plunger and a toilet auger, though it seems to dead end too soon. I use quick dissolve toilet paper. Have not seen need to examine soil pipe clean-out. Any ideas? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-20, 08:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
When does the toilet bubble up? Does it bubble when not flushing or does it only bubble during a flush?

Old 09-21-20, 10:01 PM
F
The bubbling occurs when the flush is first started

Old 09-22-20, 04:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
How old is the toilet? Is it new enough to be a low flow? I have seen some really old toilets bubble when a flush starts.

How old is the house? I'm thinking it could be a plumbing issue and not properly vented.

Old 09-22-20, 08:38 PM
F
It is a 30's cottage with old toilets except that this never happened before that I can remember. How do I determine if the vent is plugged? Does this run off the soil pipe? It would seem that a plugged vent would affect the other toilet as well.

Old 09-23-20, 05:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
If this is a new issue then you have a clog somewhere. I'd start by snaking the toilet and drain lines. If that doesn't solve it then I'd snake down from the roof plumbing vent.