Installing new glass shower doors on tile

Old 09-24-20, 02:00 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing new glass shower doors on tile

I bought new glass sliding doors for a shower. I would like to install them but I have never done this before. Just a bit nervous. I need to get tile bits for clean cuts, I have the rest of the tools. I been browsing YT. Can anyone recommend a good video? And or tips?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-20, 03:46 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Tile bits, get some diamond bits, they will cut like butter and last long enough that they will be there for the next project!

Old 09-26-20, 12:11 PM
Z
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
hi theclock -

I’ve tiled and done nips and cuts – but not drilling. Whatever bit you get I think you should use an extra tile or two and practice drilling first with the bit you will be using for the job.

Just my two cents!

Old 09-27-20, 05:24 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When I put mine up - I just drilled new holes in the frame to align with a grout line.

Old 09-27-20, 06:46 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
I assume you have glazed ceramic tile. It's not that hard. Get glass or concrete drill bits. Use a center punch to make a nick and starter point for the drill. Use moderate pressure. Once the drill bit gets past the glaze it will very easily drill thru. Use plastic anchors if you don't hit a stud. Before actually attaching the frame put a bead of caulk on the surface. Once attached by the screws you'll want to caulk along both edges. It's not necessary to caulk both inside and outside, but doing the outside will help keep the frame secure as does the surface bead after lots of opening and closing.

Old 09-27-20, 11:58 AM
C
Received 97 Votes on 76 Posts
I would spend a little more and get diamond bits. If your tile happens to be porcelain it will be a tough go for any other drill bit.
Don't use a hammer drill.