What is the best way to handle clogging far away from kitchen sink?

Old 09-30-20, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the best way to handle clogging far away from kitchen sink?

My kitchen sink has a slow draining problem. I believe the clog is more than 10 feet away (could be 20 ft). I actually bought a long snake a few years ago and used it when it was completely clogged. I have a kitchen sink disposal, so it is a hassle to use the snake.
If I fully open the tap, it may take up to 20 seconds to see the water starts to come up to the sink, so the clogging is far and not horrible. It is usable. I wonder if there is something that I can do regularly to keep the pipe clean and fully open.
I used K-67 GRANULAR BACTERIAL DRAIN & TRAP CLEANER for a while. I don't think it is very effective for my case.
Green Gobbler DRAIN OPENER actually worked well a few times when the draining was extremely slow. I am not sure if works when it is moderately slow.
Anyway, this is a chronic, but not an urgent issue. I thought some experts here might be able to provide a remedy to solve it once for all.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-20, 09:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
If you are having reoccurring slow drains or clogging it's likely one of two things; something is wrong with the piping or you are putting things down the drain that shouldn't. Grease & oil are the worst thing you can put down the drain and can can create very long clogs that are difficult to remove. You can also stop using the disposal. Those things being ground up should go in the trash and not down the drain.

Old 09-30-20, 10:21 AM
Thank you.
I try my best to avoid disposing anything solid in the sink. The use of the disposal is minimal. It is hard to prevent greases on dishes. A dishwasher is connected to the pipe underneath the sink.

Old 09-30-20, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
It should not be a hassle to use the snake. You just need to take your slip joint trap apart, and feed the snake right into the drain, bypassing the disposal completely.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-20, 02:49 PM
Received 87 Votes on 77 Posts
You need to establish at least partial flow and then begin a regular drain maintenance program with a good enzyme type drain cleaner. I don't know about the K-67 or Green Gobbler, but I have had excellent results with Plumb Clean. Once you have partial flow use the enzyme cleaner nightly for 4 or 5 nights then drop back to once a month.

https://www.plumbclean.ca/

Hong Zhang voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-20, 02:59 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
I'll add a 3rd possibility to PD's list. I'll first admit I am far from being a plumber but I did have an issue once at a previous home. It was a 1970's home & had clay sewer pipes. One collapsed (I suspect due to roots etc). which caused issues with my laundry room. No other drains were affected. It would drain, but slowly & sometimes back up & over flow in the laundry room.

Only thing I am asking is how old your home is & if it may have clay sewer pipes.

Old 10-04-20, 03:24 PM
H
Received 97 Votes on 86 Posts
The nice thing about hydraulics is that distance doesn't really matter that much.

As long as the line is eventually draining, what I've is get the biggest crab-boil-pot turkey fryer pot I have, fill it with water, add a cup of salt (which raises the boiling point a little, but the raises the stored heat energy ALOT) add then bring it to a full boil. Pour a bit of pipe cleaner gel down the drain, then dump the pot of boiling water.
Wear long sleeves, work gloves, and sun glasses, then use a large toilet style plunger to force the hot water back and forth.

Old 10-04-20, 05:40 PM
Thank you. I will give Plumb Clean a shot though I am having a hard time finding a place selling this online. We have a TrueValue store here, so I will check it despite their website does not show it.

Old 10-04-20, 05:47 PM
It was built in 1994. The severity fluctuates. Again, it is always usable. I tried soda + vinegar a few days ago, and it seemed to help.

Old 10-04-20, 05:54 PM
Thank you. I have added the super-boiling water to the to-try list.

Old 10-05-20, 04:39 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
I have the same situation. About once every 3 to 5 years I need to take the pipes apart to unclog it. All of the above advice is great, BUT there is no magic soup that will solve the problem.
Due to the several right angle turns and long length and slight slope the problem cannot be solved with chemicals.
The only way is to change the piping or provide cleanouts or breaks to clean with snake about half way from sink to main drain.
What I did is install a 1 1/2 union of this type. This allows for an easy way to dissemble the pipes and get a snake to go in both directions.
In addition to reduce the incidence of clogging, stop using the disposal. We never use ours. Biggest waste of money when I did the kitchen remodel. Either don't use it or remove it. Never put any type of grease or things like rice or starchy type food waste.

Old 10-05-20, 05:10 AM
Thank you. I will try to minimize the use of the disposal even more. It is used about two or three times every week, and each lasts 2 or 3 seconds

Old 10-05-20, 07:10 AM
H
Received 97 Votes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm201
Never put any type of grease or things like rice or starchy type food waste.
I keep a mason jar on the top lip of the oven for filtered bacon grease. When it's full, it goes into making pie crusts. For beef grease, or vegetable oils, they usually get drizzled over the wood in the fireplace. (wood ash soaks up grease really well, then burns nicely).
The carbohydrates - rice, pasta generally go into the compost bin outside.

Old 10-10-20, 10:26 AM
Received 87 Votes on 77 Posts
I will give Plumb Clean a shot though I am having a hard time finding a place selling this online. We have a TrueValue store here, so I will check it despite their website does not show it.
If you cannot find Plumb Clean, try this Zep product, it's almost as good in my opinion.

https://www.truevalue.com/shop/plumb...-drain-cleaner