Garbage Disposal Not working

Old 10-04-20, 04:52 PM
A
asi
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garbage Disposal Not working

Garbage disposal is not working.

Here few things I did.

Initially it was working then It started to make hissing/humming noise Then nothing.

I did switched off from circuit breaker ( my Garbage disposal is wired in and there is no Plug in or out option)

1. Located reset Button (red button in picture) and Reset it.
2. I manage to clean out some particle (broken Glass) from Top. There are NONE visible objects stuck into garbage disposal rotating plate from Top.

It is now making a Humming noise (still not working), which is some improvement. At least electricity is flowing to disposal.

I could not find hole at bottom where one can stick Allen wrench and manually rotate it.

There is small plate held by 2 screws. What is beneath/above that plate? If I remove those screws would I be able to find hole where one can stick either Allen wrench or some sort of tool to rotate inside plate of disposal.

I have old disposal I could not find easy way to take it out. In newer one there are some anchor where one can stick screw driver, rotate and take it out.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-20, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
There is small plate held by 2 screws. What is beneath/above that plate?
Likely yes. Remove the bottom cover (looks like you only have to remove one screw) and you should find the place to attach the Allen wrench. Manually rotate the motor back and forth until it will rotate free.

BTW your disposal is not properly wired You should not have free air wire nuts connecting the wires. I would recommend terminating the cable feeding the disposal into a box with a receptacle and then install a three-wire cord on the disposal.

Old 10-04-20, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
I would assume that if you stuck a long 1/4" nut driver down the neck of the disposal that you could turn it by hand. If you have a socket set and extensions, try that first. But turn it the correct direction... wouldnt want you to loosen the screw and lose it down the disposal.

Don't know what you will find under the bottom cover. I'm not familiar with that brand and model. But it can't hurt to look.

Old 10-04-20, 05:06 PM
A
asi
Thanks you meant From top and right in center as seen in pictures there seems to be some sort of nut and try rotating it?
Do you know in which direction to rotate? does it even matter?

Old 10-04-20, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Yep. Try either way but I bet it turns counterclockwise. My guess is that if turning it doesn't help that its just worn out. Disposals never last long.

Old 10-04-20, 05:52 PM
A
asi

Well I was suspicious of wiring. I did not notice before garbage disposal issue.

I remove plate at bottom. As you can see there is big hold like a deep rectangle made of shining aluminum and there is NO hole or nut which can be rotated.
However you notice now there is 3rd screw appear (at 12 O clock position, If red button is 3 O'clock not sure how picture will appear on your side) next to the screw which I loosen to takeout plate (first 2 screws are made of brass and new 3rd screw below plate is made of aluminum/steel). It is only screw and I loosen and tighten it. Not sure its purpose.

I did manage to rotate (both ways) from top and It takes 3/8 socket. It was Neither super tight Nor gliding. Does not feel like something is stuck in there.

But still Humming noise and not working.

I did NOT use garbage disposal in years now I have slow drain issues. Pipes before and after garbage disposal are clean. So something is like food sludge is in there which is causing slow water drain.

Over night baking soda and vinegar mix did not work. Should I try some sort of drain opener (I think most have some mix of Lye) and leave it over night.

Old 10-10-20, 10:20 AM
Received 87 Votes on 77 Posts
I'd replace it with an ISE disposer.