Garbage Disposal Removal

Old 10-04-20, 07:08 PM
A
asi
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garbage Disposal Removal

I have old Garbage disposal which is Not working and I have slow drainage issues. Pipes after disposal are clean. My sink has 2 holes, hole other than garbage disposal has NO drainage issues. I don't use garbage disposal anyway. If I decide to to get rid of it, I assume I need to hire a plumber to remove to install new fittings.

Q. Do I need to install whole new fitting under sink or only below garbage disposal part. Does this new fitting instead of garbage disposal need a P trap? So there will be P traps on both sides.

Q. My garbage disposal wiring are unusual as they are wired in and connect via nut screws. Who will remove wiring and how to close electric connection in a dormant/idle situation for new owner if they need to install garbage disposal. Do I need to hire electrician?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-20, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
If you want to remove the garbage disposal, the sink will need a new basket. Plumbers putty and a basket.

As far as hooking the new basket up to your existing drain, there are 2 ways of doing it. Either plumb the one sink over to the other tailpiece, using a tee, or each sink will have its own trap and connect to a wye before the wall.. A few plumbing parts will be needed. Can't say exactly as you provided no photos.

As far as electrical, it's not unusual for disposals to be wired directly. You would want to install a box under the sink and terminate those wires inside the box, with wire nuts, then put a blank cover on the box.

This is a diy site, and all of the above is certainly withing your capability unless you are really not handy at all.

Old 10-04-20, 08:52 PM
A
asi
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is Photo

Old 10-05-20, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
It would be helpful to see both sinks in the picture or a second picture of the right side sink.
Not sure about that osmosis filter drain tapped in like that. Doesn't look correct to me.
The dishwasher line is definitely an existing problem. The drain line needs to go all the way up to the bottom of the counter and then down to the drain.

Some general pictures. Notice the dishwasher drain line comes from above.