Knocking Pipes

Old 10-08-20, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Knocking Pipes

Hello, one of my bathroom pipes has very loud knocking as the water tank fills up after flushing. This (((fierce))) knocking last about half way thru the water tank refill and stops as the rest of tank is filled. I have turned off the water main and drained all my pipes in the house but the pipes continue to knock. Could it be a pipe fastener/stabilizer has come lose in the wall or an area in the pipe run? This master bed/bathroom is farthest away from the water heater and main water turn off, about 30 feet. What most likely might be causing the pipes to knock so hard? Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-20, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
It's possible it could be a loose pipe in the wall.
Has it always done this or is this something new ?

Many times a toilet valve is affected by high water pressure. If you're on city water service it may be a good idea to check your home water pressure. If you already have a pressure regulator in the water service line... it may be going bad.

Water pressure test gauge

Old 10-09-20, 01:26 AM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
This master bed/bathroom is farthest away from the water heater and main water turn off, about 30 feet.
That pretty much defines the perfect situation, have you looked at installing a hammer arrestor at the end of the line?

Old 10-09-20, 06:31 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Could be a bad fill valve too. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Old 10-09-20, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks! I will check out all of those. Definitely will change out the fill valve and check again. Will place a hammer arrestor at the turn-off behind toilet if need to. The turn-off valve barely clears the floor so hope I have enough slack to place it. House is a ranch home with good access to pipes in open crawl space thru out. I'm sure I can gently push up enough pipe to work with. Thank you!