Question about tub spigot stub

Old 10-12-20, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Question about tub spigot stub

In the midst of my remodel:
I re-did all the piping in the shower wall and the last thing I need to do is sweat on the spigot stub. Right now the wall is open, as I'm waiting to close it with cement board until I get a response here. Since the spigot housing screws onto the stub, and being what threaded connections are, knowing that the housing can only thread on so much until it hits the tile and becomes tight, how on earth do you know EXACTLY how long to make that stub? So that when you thread on the the spigot housing, it gets snug just before being clocked correctly?

For clarity, my nomenclature may be wrong. This is a tub application and I'm referring to the main spigot just above the tub and not the showerhead one.

working with 1/2" copper.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-20, 08:49 AM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
It's not any different that placing your main diverter valve body in the wall knowing there are specific dimensions that it has to extend out past the tile. But in your case you can have a longer stub then after all the tile is done, then trim to the correct length!

Old 10-12-20, 08:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
Leave the stub out long. Install your backer and tile the wall. Then near the end of the project you cut the stub to the exact length you need, sweat on the male NPT fitting and then twist on the tub spout.

Old 10-12-20, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane But how do I know the exact length? I don't want to screw on the housing to find out that when it get snug, it's clocked upside down. Know what I mean?

Old 10-12-20, 04:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
The instructions for your faucet might have the dimension or you can measure. Don't forget to allow for how much pipe goes into the male threaded fitting then I plan for half the threads to go into the spout. There is usually some leeway in tightening to get the spout aimed in the right direction.

Old 10-12-20, 04:40 PM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
If you want to be exact, do as PD suggested, but before you sweat on the male NPT fitting dry fit all the parts together including threading the spout to the male NPT fitting. Then orient the spout in the right direction. Unthread the NPT cplg and sweat it together.