Advice for jacked up bathtub face plate

Old 10-16-20, 11:40 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice for jacked up bathtub face plate

Hello,

I moved into a new house last year and we noticed that the bathtub faceplate was "jerry rigged" on. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and attempting to fix this but i'm a little unsure how to approach the situation. Below is the picture of the face plate along with the bath tub.

Does anyone have any advice on how i would go about fixing this the proper way?

Also, Looking at the picture of the bathtub you can see the top part is white and the side bottom part is yellow. Is this because they put a newer shell overtop of an existing older bath tub?

Last edited by PJmax; 10-16-20 at 04:09 PM. Reason: resized pics
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-20, 12:16 PM
P
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The new tub shell does not align well with the old overflow/vent. That is why it was jury rigged. If you can locate the old holes in the original tub, you might have some luck getting the screws to go into something. If not, perhaps just some caulk/silicone under the cap to hold it to the tub wall.

- Peter

Old 10-16-20, 12:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
I suspect the front panel came from a different manufacture than the tub .... but it could be that the tub is newer than the panel.

Old 10-16-20, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
I would first see if you can center the overflow tube by pushing it to the right. If you get it centered, mark a vertical center line on the tub with a pencil (about 4" long) and a level center line... 4" long. Then take the screws out of the cover, and hold it over your marks, centering it and making sure the holes are level. Then mark the center of each hole with a black Sharpie. Then just drill a 5/16" hole, which should provide enough play to get the bolts started.

What did they do, squirt construction adhesive in the overflow drain?

I assume you have no access panel behind this tub?