Refrigerator water supply line length

Old 11-20-20, 08:27 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Refrigerator water supply line length

I'm going to be hooking up an LG refrigerator soon, model LFXC22526S. Anyone have experience with this model or one with same/similar configuration? I don't know the length I'll need for the 1/4" x 1/4" compression supply line. One place says 5' and another says 10'.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-20, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
We can't possibly know how long it needs to be, since we don't know where- or how far away- the hookup and shutoff is in relation to the connection on your refrigerator.

Old 11-20-20, 08:59 PM
J
You're absolutely right, sorry about that . The shutoff is at the back left (looking from the front) bottom of the unit. I don't know if the connection point on this fridge is down low or up high, and then I'd want some slack to be able to roll the unit out for cleaning under, so I'm thinking 10' sounds safer.

Old 11-20-20, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
The manual shows it in back on the bottom left (when looking at it from the front side). It also adds:

To determine how much tubing you need, measure the distance from the water valve on the back of the refrigerator to the water supply pipe. Then, add 8 feet (2.4 m). Be sure there is sufficient extra tubing (about 8 feet [2.4 m] coiled into 3 turns of about 10 in. [25 cm] diameter) to allow the refrigerator to move out from the wall after installation.

Old 11-20-20, 09:31 PM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
What I did with mine is attached a long (12") relatively loose spring to the middle of the hose and connected it up high to the back of the frig. This enabled the hose to be suspended flat against the back of the frig when pushed against the wall (spring contracted). When I pulled the frig out the spring would expand as the hose was pulled down.

I just didn't like the hose having the ability to get all bunched up on the floor..

Old 11-20-20, 10:47 PM
J
OK, excellent, thanks. I could get by with just 5', but I think I'll go with the 10'. And yes, hang the excess on the back, up off the floor.

Old 11-21-20, 06:08 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
FWIW... I used stainless braided line (the same stuff as a dishwasher supply line) as it comes through the floor and then just coiled behind fridge with enough slack to allow fridge to be pulled all the way out and in fact turned 90 degrees. The stainless steel braided line resist aging, kinking and getting pinched. And if working behind fridge I don't need to worry about breaking it or damaging it.

Old 11-21-20, 02:36 PM
J
Roger that, definitely using braided SS. Thanks, Norm.

Old 11-25-20, 05:29 PM
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
I like to leave 5 or 6 feet of 1/4" copper tubing and coil it behind the refrigerator. The coil allows the refrigerator to be moved away from the wall for cleaning and for cleaning the condensing coils. But, my last tenant screwed me and cut it off at about 2 feet. Actually it was probably the guys from Lowes who delivered his refrigerator.